A Weekend of Lure Washing

Ramble

If you are looking for fish pictures you’re crap-outta-luck with this post. As the title states it was a “weekend of lure washing”. I decided to post a report anyway since it’s been a while, and I took some photos that some of you might like to see of the country side.

Friday

Friday was the day of turkey. I ate my fill and took off for a little trout stream north of town once I dropped my grandmother off at her place. It didn’t take long to get to the creek; the walk in up a 4-wheeler trail is always enjoyable on spring evenings.

P4100264.jpg

The water was high but still looked good.

P4100265.jpg

I messed around with various lures then moved on to a down stream spot that is more difficult to get too.

P4100257.jpg

The water is somewhere between 2 and 3 feet high. Rubber boots were essential.

P4100256.jpg

It wasn’t long until I was at the stretch of creek I was after. I made more then a few casts here washing all kinds of spinners and small spoons.

P4100255.jpg

Lots of birds were moving as evening closed in. A couple of woodies gave me a nice fly by and these guys showed up as well.

P4100258.jpg

I doubled back and went upstream from my 1st spot. The hill is pretty steep so I often save this stretch for last incase of an “unscheduled water entry”.

P4100267.jpg

Here is a big old oak on the hillside. I can get my arms a little over half way around it.

P4100266.jpg

Evening set in and headed home.

P4100261.jpg

Despite the lack of fish it was good to visit a few spring spots.

P4100269.jpg

Saturday

I went and visited a friend for the afternoon. Latter that night I took a tour out to another creek. I saw a mottled sculpin in a feeder creek I walked up. Only fish around I guess. I did however to go a few rounds with some serious thick prickly ash stands. I was bleeding in a few places, but it was worth the walk and a chance at a brookie or two.

P4110272.jpg

P4110279.jpg

P4110276.jpg

The feeder creek.

P4110273.jpg

P4110274.jpg

I left a little early and took a trip up to the scuttle holes. It’s a spot where the Moira divides the joins back together. The East branch narrows down and about half the water flows through a channel carved out by the river, while the other half of the flow heads under ground through caves it has carved out. Some of these are big enough to explore a little bit when the water is low. The whole area is very impressive.

P4110281.jpg

P4110282.jpg

P4110284.jpg

The water here is running out from under the bed rock.

P4110289.jpg

I’m loving the longer evenings.

P4110290.jpg

Sunday

Decided to grab the canoe and head north. I was a little worried about ice on the lakes so I planned to stop at a few on the way to check the ice. I wanted to head into a tiny little lake to try for some brookies but that wasn’t in the cards.

I was about 40km south of Bancroft when I stopped to check my 1st lake. I was half covered in ice. There is splake in it so I thought I’d give it a shout anyway.

P4120306.jpg

Basically I spent the day paddling and casting. I tired small rapalas, spinners, spoons and even a jig. Not a fish. The best spot on the lake still had ice over it. There was open water across the middle of the lake, but the wind was blowing pretty good. I ventured out to a few wind swept points with no success. Tried a couple of islands as well with out luck.

P4120307.jpg

P4120305.jpg

P4120304.jpg

P4120301.jpg

P4120297.jpg

P4120299.jpg

P4120300.jpg

The ice was a couple inches thick, but you could just push the paddle through it. I’ll be surprised if it lasts the week.

I also tried a few creeks on the way home with success.

P4120309.jpg

I spent about 12 hours fishing this weekend and didn’t see a single fish. The trout creeks didn’t even have any suckers or fallfish moving in them yet. I’m thinking the water might need to warm up a little.

I got to try out the new fishing rod/reel as well. Works like a gem.

Tight Lines

-R-

Great pics and very enjoyable report. Thanks for having the courage to post a report without fish. I think sometimes people don't make a report if they've been skunked. We all get skunked and there is no way we would see your great pics if you had decided not to post. Thank you.