UFC Tonight!

Gerritt

I have to agree on a couple of things, the fights were less than spectacular but I will love to see Cro Cop tee off on Silvia's head. His opponent's facial expression was like a deer caught in the head lights except he was running scared not just standing there. Anderson Silva's take down defense was less than spectacular as well but nice choke out on Lutter. He needed to be punished a bit more for not making weight for a championship fight when he obviously had a bit of gut left over.

Secondly I definitely agree that MMA is waaayyy safer than boxing and most other sports as Mark said. The refs do a great job and keep those guys from getting out of control. They are truly gifted athletes who have sacrificed years of their lives to master so many disciplines. I did notice that there was a lot of booing from the crowd last night because of the "lack of action" in their opinion however 99% of them would be out of breath by just walking to the ring!!! They have no clue how much endurance training these guys do.

Can't wait to see the next one, maybe Franklin will bounce back!!

JP

Chances are that franklin will bounce back, it's just too bad it has to be against Jason Macdonald.

was not the best fights I have seen

and by far the nastiest refs.......thought they should have stopped the one fight faster..and in another it was clear the other guy got hit in the jewels..and the fer didn't give him time to recover and the one fight, I thought they stopped it too fast..but the guy did stay down for a while, so I guess the ref saw something I didn't....

It was a decent card. The first fight was 2 guys that wanted not to lose it seemed like. Even when Cote had him hurt he was cautious.

Rampage looked a little lacklustre, almost as if he was afraid he would not have a great showing. After Heath Herring's disappointing loss, UFC would've been probably quite upset if Rampage also lost.

Mirko is scary good. Reminded me of the time he fought the Lucha Libre fighter from Mexico in Pride. The guy in the mask basically ran away until CroCop finally cornered him and kicked him in the head. As he kinda sagged down unconcious, Mirko gave him a nice short hook to the face for running away so much. lol

As far as I know, there has been only 1 death attributed to MMA, and it was a fighter from the US with a pre-existing medical condition that could not get cleared to fight in the states, so he went overseas to an unsanctioned organization and died from injuries related to the pre-existing condition.

Charles

I just finished watching the events , and I have mixed views.

It was a great card on paper , how can you not like it when you have Mirko CroCop and Quinton jackson fighting in the US , and top that off with Anderson Silva defending his belt (not) against travis lutter

The Cote fight was decent , not enough action , Cote seemed pretty explosive and certainly had good kicks and strikes , he deserves his win no doubt . I just wish it was an all about slugfest like Scott Smith brought last time .

Cro Cop's fight was just FUNNY , how Sanchez RAN AWAY from him all around the ring , that's just hilarious , and retarded at the same time , but it was obvious Cro Cop would win .

You could definately tell both CroCop and Jackson were NERVOUS , neither has fought in a cage for a WHILE , if ever , and you could tell they were being extra cautious .

I was expecting a big slam from Jackson , or a spectacular KO , but I'll settle .

The short lightweight fight isn't even worth mentioning

And the main event where The striker tapped the submission guy was just boring to watch . You could tell lutter wasn't at the top of his game . I am not taking anythin away from Silva , that dude is just awesome everywehere , but what happened to SPRAWL buddy ?!?! Especially with lutter's sloppy double leg attempts . You could tell Lutter was dehidrated and slooowww , and that cost him , and he got an embarresing loss on his record from somebody who IS a BJJ black belt but is not known for submissions .

The next card is gonna be more interesting for sure . Former champs making their way back , and Couture gonna try and prove that Sylvia sucks , good luck with that.

Dude Anderson Silva is a black belt in BJJ... he is well known for his submissions. It is not Embarresing losing to him that way

Edited by Crazyhook

I think in the pre-fight interview, Lutter said that Anderson Silva would need to train the rest of his life and still not be able to get to Lutter's level of JJ. When you talk that kind of trash and make yourself out to be at some world class elite level and then get subbed, it is pretty embarrassing. But it did look like he tapped to the elbow strikes as opposed to the triangle choke. He lasted longer than most would in defending that tight of a triangle.

I wouldn't say Silva is that well known for his submissions, he won 1 fight in his professional career (18 wins) by a submission to something other than Strikes (triangle choke win over Daiju Takase).

Charles

Dude Anderson Silva is a black belt in BJJ... he is well known for his submissions. It is not Embarresing losing to him that way

who gave lutter is black belt (i dont know, and am too lazy to look it up)? and why did the hype machine basically pimp silva as a pure striker (prior to rogans constant Nog references)? granted his standup is insane, but the dude has his bjj black belt from the nogs.. i think he was sending a message that lutters bjj wasnt as good as his by subbing him that way..

was i the only one that was suprized to hear rogan mention Fedor on the air?

I think DSE (Pride's parent org) is looking for someone to buy them. Losing their television deal in Japan due to the ties to the Yakuza was pretty big. Haven't been able to replace that tv deal even though they sell out 40-50,000 seat stadiums for a live event.

Zuffa already bought up the competing WFA and WEC (I think), that was how they got Rampage's contract. I don't think it would be a huge stretch to see Zuffa buy Pride, if only to prevent HBO or Bodog from buying them up and setting them up as competitors in the US. It would also give the UFC an instant international foothold and undisputed dominance in the MMA arena.

CroCop is sick, but Fedor is not human.

Charles

I'd rather watch boxing than UFC because im biased, but mostly cause I can't stand Joe Rogan! I have more figure skating experience, than he does fighting experience :thumbsup_anim:

i used to like rogan, but he is starting to get annoying.. but he does have some cred. he trains (i think) with eddie bravo..

Edited by Bitsmith2k

True Rogan can get annoying, but he does know whats going on in there, and shows genuine enthusiasm, somtimes I catch another MMA show and the play by play puts you to sleep like rear naked choke, so with the popularity and success of UFC I don't think they will change much. however like Charles mentioned I could see them buying Pride, and basically owning MMA worldwide(add sinnister laugh here). I'm looking forward to seeing Cro-cop win the title and adding some needed talent to the heavyweight ranks.

the more i think about it, the better i think he is for the ufc.. the popularity is really exploding and they need someone who can clearly explain whats going on to the newcomers... he's definately annoying and over the top in some circumstances... probably the only one suitable to replace him would be Bas.

just to add to my last post: he does have a bjj brown belt, so he is quite knowledgable..

although this is only a thread on a fishing mesage board, i like the fact that this thread hasnt turned into the sort of free for all bashing that happens on some of the mma forums..

Clampet,

Anderson Silva is already the Middleweight (185 lb) champion of the UFC, so your prediction is correct! :P

I agree Bitsmith, I think he is mainstream enough and has just enough 'street cred' as a BJJ practitioner to be a great colour guy at the events. Couture is the perfect counterpoint with his ultra-knowledgeable low-key style.

Bas can be just as over-the-top as Rogan at times.

Charles

Ya, that would be a tough fight for Silva. Lindland has beaten many of the top guys and he also lost a very controversial decision to Rampage.

That said, I think Fedor will absolutely annihilate him. I mean a guy that can fight at 185 against the undisputed #1 MMA fighter in the world?

Matt Lindland is a brave dude.

Charles

Lindland is one of the most underrated fighters , and Silva as like I said , too one dimensional .

Lindland was doing very well against Jackson , and he in my opinion shouldve won the fight , he didn't , go figure why.

Yes Silva is a BJJ black belt , but he got side mounted , taken down , fully mounted , and almost TKO'ed from the mount by a very sluggish lutter and overall not-very-good Lutter.

Matt Lindland would absolutely own Silva , maybe even in the first round , with only one takedown.

Everyone these days seems to be a BJJ black belt , yet you see humungous gaps between people's skills . Just my two cents.

KTFO.. i completely agree about the everyone having black belts.. belt colours are slightly overrated though for mma..

i dissagree about how much trouble anderson was in.. i rewatched the fight and there's absolutley nothing behind any of lutters punches while in the mount..

lindland v. silva would go down the same as lutter v silva, except lindlands gnp would finish silva..

i also think that if machida could make 185 he'd give silva a run.. and maybe in a year gsp would take the belt from him too..

if you watch the fight silva had his arms on lutters shoulder for most of time he was mounted which stopped lutter from getting punching power, silva is awsome, hopefully some big name sin middleweight will challenege for the belt. someone worthy, not someone who wins the best of the hasbeens.

fedor is the #1 heavyweight, he has not lost in his mma career i believe, if he has its only been 1 loss, lindland has no chance. hes got balls like eddie sanchez, but no chance.

GSP could easily drop down and fight silva, that would be 1 hell of a fight.

Terry martin vs mike swick?>!?!?!?!??! hell ya!

and what about tyson griffen and frank edgar?? man what a battle, and one hell of a knee bar, still dont know how he didnt tap..