reels for walleye's

mad_on_fishing

If you're not trollin' deep or long with it, you can eliminate "round" baitcasters and just look at low-profile ones. You may want to consider a reel with a fippin' switch. It will allow you to let out more line by pushing down on the thumb bar (like just about every baitcaster) but the difference is when you lift your thumb off the bar the reel re-engages, normally you would have to use your other hand to turn the reel handle to re-engage the reel. Handy for trolling and drifting.

tight lines

thanks guys..

i was doing some reading up on the internet about the models with flippin switches, and they say that they don't hold up well.... or are they just talking about those cheap $20 ones?

also,, what is the difference between a low profile reel and a normal reel?

By the sounds of it you'll need a reel better suited for the lighter side lures for walleye. I've been using bait casters for a long time and for any finesse type fishing I still prefer a spinning rod. For a walleye trip I will have a couple baitcasters with me but usually rigged for bottom bouncing and trolling bigger baits. My crankbait rod is a BPS Extreme paired up with a 7FT 12-14lb M rod. On 10lb test this set up can easily toss the lighter shad raps and bombers but it does get a little hard to handle in the wind.

I've been turned onto the BPS Extreme reels for the last few years, Great $ when they go on sale for $69.99. Many sites I've run across rate the Daiwa Procaster PT33 as best rell for under $100. I think a few on this board also have given this reel thumbs up.

i am wanting to buy my first baicasting reel.

i would be using it for casting crankbaits and dragging jigs.

i am hoping to buy one new for under $70.

any suggestions?

It's unfortunate, but it's pretty tough to buy a decent baitcaster for under $70. If you were to be using one only for flipping and pitching, you could possibly get away with buying a cheaper model, and cranking the drag all the way down. But...if you're planning on throwing crankbaits and jigs, it'll be pretty tough to do with a cheap one simply because the lures are often too light. You're almost better off sticking with spinning tackle. Think about the the weight of the lure, generally speaking, if you're casting anything 1/4 ounce or less spinning gear is the way to go.

For heavier tackle, baitcasters can work well, but it all depends on the type of fishing you're doing. Even casting a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce jig can be tough with a baitcaster at times.

In my opinion, an Abu Garcia Revo S is an excellent choice for a first baitcaster. I think they're $129-139 new, and once you get use to it you can consider moving up to the higher end revo models. As well, if you're just getting started, a fiberglass crankbait rod would be somethingt o look into as they generally have more 'whip' than a graphite rod and will help you cast further when you're learning for the first time. It won't be as good for jig fishing, but should help you with casting distance.

It can be tough when you first begin using a baitcaster, and a cheap model isn't going to make for a pleasent experiance. This is just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.

-Drew

mu budget just got punched up to around $115.

here are some reels i am looking at at this moment.

>Pflueger Guiterion

>abu-garcia black max

>Daiwa exceler

>daiwa megaforce baitcaster

>quantum accurist

>abu-garcia revo S

i will have 2 other spinning rods with me for the lighter equipment i have.

and thank you all for your helpful reply's soo far.

Edited by Karlin

mu budget just got punched up to around $115.

here are some reels i am looking at at this moment.

>Pflueger Guiterion

>abu-garcia black max

>Daiwa exceler

>daiwa megaforce baitcaster

>quantum accurist

i will have 2 other spinning rods with me for the lighter equipment i have.

and thank you all for your helpful reply's soo far.

I have a Black max and a silver max from Abu Garcia. I have no complaints BUT If your budget is $115, I say save another $25 and get the Abu Revo S .... Your getting a High end quality reel that way ! I was at a walmart when I was down in Florida and they had a Revo S for $99.99 !!!! kickin myself for passin that one up !

My black max stood up to some beatin last year, I only used it for about half the summer... but by the end of the season, I was getting quite a squeel out of her when I would bomb a lure... I think I just need to hit her with some Lube. But other then that, great reels.

My next reel will be a Abu or Shimano.... I say go with the Abu Revo if I were you !

Edited by Lunker777