Ice is out - Crappie are in

Out4Trout

Thursday evening, end of a short week - drop my son off at Cadets for 7pm. Softwater season - no bugs - who could ask for anything better than a crappie fest!!

I winged over to a local lake for a fish, arrived in my favourite spot at 7:20pm. Nobody else in sight - sweet.

First bite @ 7:45pm, a decent slab. 2 more slabs by 9:30pm, then a jumbo perch nailed the jig. 2 more slabs, then another perch, then a largemouth bass... now 10:45pm

O4T_Crappie_01.jpg

O4T_Jumbo_Perch.jpg

SQUAAAAAAAAWK!!! :o

I nearly fell in the lake. A heron had come in without me noticing, and was standing about 10ft from where I was fishing. He must have walked along the shore, then had a good laugh at how he startled me. :lol:

Things slowed down a bit, but managed one more slab by 11:15p and headed for home.

O4T_Crappie_02.jpg

Filleted the fish this morning - fish fry planned with the family this afternoon. Fresh spring crappie and perch - delightful!!!

Some technical details... 8 fow, 4 out of the 6 slabs were taken with a tiny orange jig, with a white Gulp Alive fish fry skewered on the back. 2 out of the 6 and both perch taken with a glow Genz bug - with a white Gulp Alive fish fry skewered on the back

O4T_Crappie_Plate.jpg

O4T

OMG DID YOU REMEMBER TO PICK UP YOUR SON FROM CADETS?

Uh-oh!!! :o:o I better head over there RIGHT NOW!!!

j/k - my wife picked him up :)

(hmmmmmm ... Mariko... yep I looked again.... :whistling::whistling: )

Edited by Out4Trout

<br/>

Thursday evening, end of a short week - drop my son off at Cadets for 7pm. Softwater season - no bugs - who could ask for anything better than a crappie fest!!

<br/>

I winged over to a local lake for a fish, arrived in my favourite spot at 7:20pm. Nobody else in sight - sweet.

<br/>

First bite @ 7:45pm, a decent slab. 2 more slabs by 9:30pm, then a jumbo perch nailed the jig. 2 more slabs, then another perch, then a largemouth bass... now 10:45pm

<br/>

O4T_Crappie_01.jpg

<br/>

<br/>

O4T_Jumbo_Perch.jpg

<br/>

<br/>

SQUAAAAAAAAWK!!! :o

<br/>

I nearly fell in the lake. A heron had come in without me noticing, and was standing about 10ft from where I was fishing. He must have walked along the shore, then had a good laugh at how he startled me. :lol:

<br/>

Things slowed down a bit, but managed one more slab by 11:15p and headed for home.

<br/>

O4T_Crappie_02.jpg

<br/>

Filleted the fish this morning - fish fry planned with the family this afternoon. Fresh spring crappie and perch - delightful!!!

<br/>

Some technical details... 8 fow, 4 out of the 6 slabs were taken with a tiny orange jig, with a white Gulp Alive fish fry skewered on the back. 2 out of the 6 and both perch taken with a glow Genz bug - with a white Gulp Alive fish fry skewered on the back

<br/>

O4T_Crappie_Plate.jpg

<br/>

<br/>

O4T

nice tasty-looking work-congrats