Rock Bass?

Joeytier

Years ago I taste tested Rock bass, perch and crappie at the same time. Of those 3...Perch was my fav then rockies, then crappie. From cold spring water or through the ice they are great. Warmer water fish seem to have a stronger taste, so in the summer and fall I release them, or use them in fish chowder. They are no more boney then any other panfish, but there skin/scales are a lot harder to get through...so make sure you have a good knife or it can be frustrating.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I would have to say they are probably my favourite freshwater fish to eat, nice sweet taste to them. If you have trouble cleaning them, then you're keeping the small ones, the bigger ones are no problem to clean at all.

I keep them and find them no different from other panfish in taste and ease of fillet, as others have already mentioned.

The other reason I keep them is to help the bass and other popular game fish. Anyone who has caught Rock Bass will know they are extremely aggressive, often hitting baits hanging right off the side of the boat or dock while fixing your line.

Rock Bass feed heavily on small fry, such as baby pass, walleye ect.. My friend has a cottage in a back lake with very little fishing pressure and it is filled with Rock Bass. So we do our part by eating a few!

I'm willing to bet that Bigugli has a sure fire recepie to for rockbass. I've been to a few of his fishfries and I can honestly say that he can make just about any fish taste good. And when you put him and JWL in the kitchen watch out!!!!! :P

Garry,you look way to happy in that new ride .

Lets face it. Fish, is a fish,it,s all about the kick you put in the recipe.

I still wont eat anything from lake O. THERE ARE SOME FISH, YOU JUST CANT KICK UP ENOUGH. JMO.