jig head colours for brook trout/ lake trout

kickingfrog

I was starting to put together some of my tackle for a spring trip into Algonquin.

(Every year I try to pare-down the tackle I bring, and every year on the first portage I swear I'll do better next time.)

Anyway back to the origin of my post...For open water fishing for Brook trout my go to colour is a black jig head (if I'm using a jig). I rarely ever use another colour.

Anybody use and/or have success with other colours?

Spoons, spinners and sometimes plugs are usually first out of the box. But when the situation "feels" right, a black jig gets tied on.

I mostly use gulp minnows, worms and some twister tails (and powerbait before gulp was made) if that makes a difference for your colour choice.

Same thing for spring Lakers in Algonquin, although I use white tubes and twister tails more.

Never fished for Brook Trout or Lakers, a white tube or white 3 inch grub(power grub) works for steel head and smallies, walleye here on Erie in the fall, especially if the Emerald shiners are around. If I am using a white grub only two color choices for me for the jighead, white or black.

Last Year on my spring trip I knocked 'em dead on brown or black.

First couple fish I caught on spinners, but when I cleaned them and saw they were stuffed full of Stone fly, and Draganfly nymph, I figured Small brown and black tubes and grubs dragged along the boulders would work pretty good...It payed off hugely for the rest of the trip.

But I used bullet weights and a hook though....no jig head.

But if i was to use a jig head, I'd stay with black.

Cheers,

White mooselook (2") with red spots ... and black woolly buggars ... killer in the top 15 feet of the water column from May to mid june ..... and dont be afraid to try both on the same line .. hint hint ...

I use jigs in a multitude of colors for Brook Trout and I can't really say that one is better than any other. When casting in clear and fairly shallow water (which is usually the case for me) a bright colored jig is easier for me to see and watch for follow ups.

Take your pick.

Jigflies.jpg

I use jigs in a multitude of colors for Brook Trout and I can't really say that one is better than any other. When casting in clear and fairly shallow water (which is usually the case for me) a bright colored jig is easier for me to see and watch for follow ups.

Take your pick.

Jigflies.jpg

WowDan ... thats one perdy collection ... almost worthy of putting up on a display !

Take your pick.

Jigflies.jpg

Those are very nice Dan, do you make them yourself? The only hair jigs I have are for walleye. I need to get me some of 'em.

Those are very nice Dan, do you make them yourself? The only hair jigs I have are for walleye. I need to get me some of 'em.

They are hand tied, but I don't make them myself. I get them from a buddy that has a local bait/taxidermy shop. I'm not sure where he gets them from. If you want, pm me and I'll get some and send them to you at my cost.

They really do work.

Brookyjighead.jpg

Getting back to your post Kickingfrog, any kind of jig imitating a leech in Black is also the #1 colour for myself when I've made the trip to Algonquin, as far as other lures go, Gold Minnowbaits (rapalas etc) work great for trolling and don't give you the hassle of line twist like a spinner or spoon. If you're going in the spring don't worry about fishing deep water since most of the fish will be in the cool upper part of the lake.

What part of the park are you going to?

jjcanoe

a lot of the specks in the park feed on insects primarily, i use dark colours quite a bit but white as well, the lakers we chase are always on a blue, silver spoons. my trip for 5 years in a row was the last week of May / first week of June. maybe that's why they were eating bugs so heavily. i have caught many big specks and many small ones likely 4-500 of them and they are still a mystery to me!

Thanks for the info guys. It was mainly the jighead colour thing I was wondering about, but it never hurts to learn about how others "do it".

I like the idea of the jig fly and may give them a try. The trip details (except for the date) are still up in the air, that's one of the great things about solo trips, I can change my mind whenever I want. We'll see what the spring brings.