Evinrude 9.9 Model #

Lunker777

Hey guys... Im trying to get things going on the 9.9 I got from my grandpa.

Im having trouble finding the model number ? The plate with the serial # and model # is missing. Does anyone know where an alternate place to find the model # would be ????

Every website I go to seems to want the model number to get parts to come up... since I dont know the model number... im having a hell of a time gettin prices for what itll need to fix it .

Also a site that would have the schematic for it maybe ????

march28th038.jpg

march28th039.jpg

Take off the engine cover and start looking around the motor and crankcase area, there will likely be another set of numbers stamped in there somewhere, then one of the guys who has access to engine/model cross ref may be able to narrow it down.

On (probably) the starboard side of the engine block you will see a small silver disc the size of a quarter. On it may be the model and/or serial number. To be honest, the serial number is pretty much useless. You really need the model number. I would bet your motor is a 1980. Search around the net and look for photos that match your motor. I'm confident that judging by the decals your motor was built between 1979 and 1984

The parts catalog for your motor is available at BRP's website. Fortunately, all the normal tune-up and replacement parts you may need will be the same for all of the 9.9 hp motors built before the mid to late 1980's. Personally, if we can't pin point the year I'd just assume you have a 1980 and order parts for that year. Here is the BRP website link.

epc.brp.com

Edited by boatman

You can see on your second picture where the plate is supposed to be. On the transom bracket a rectangular shape below and ahead of the black idle knob on the left side. It has been painted over or removed for some reason.

i have an older motor and went to my local boat dealer looking for parts and they had parts cards they put in their computer and kept going till they found the one that looked my motor. Turns out mine was a 1969 Evinrude 9.5 hp. and I thought it was a 9.9 for years. They even had parts on hand for it plus a manual to boot. A trip to your local dealer might not be a bad idea. Worked for me.

I'll make things easier for you. Here are the part numbers for the parts you may need. You can order them from your local marina using the BRP part number or aftermarket on the internet or from NAPA with the Sierra part numbers. The BRP parts are better, but the Sierra are cheaper.

Impeller - BRP 386084 or Sierra 18-3050 approx $25

Carb kit - BRP 398453 or Sierra 18-7223 approx $30

Drain/vent screw seals - BRP 311598 or Sierra 18-4248 approx $2

I included the drain/vent screw washers for the lower unit because you should replace them everytime you change the lower unit oil.

those metal mod/ser # tags there rivited on so they dont fall off ,even the newer sticker types are Stuck on there,im not sayin its Stolen,but it will look that way to most,its an older motor so theres no gonna be alot of fuss,I think boatmans on the money yr wise id use his wisdom on the older engines to get whay parts ya need

He'd be wise to get the O ring for the top of the drive shaft as well seeing as the bottom end is coming off for the water pump and that O ring has to come off to replace it anyway.

Kerry

Very true. That is an important seal and should be changed with the impeller. That was an oversight on my part.

driveshaft o-ring BRP 303067 or Sierra 18-7116

On this model the grommet where the water tube from the pump enters the block is common for deterioration and splits. It is exposed to a lot of heat from the engine and exhaust. If this happens it may not get all the cooling required.

To change this one the powerhead needs to be removed. Relatively easy to do as well. Just need a new base gasket and the grommet.

If it is needed it may be a good time to check the mounts inside there too. Also common for exhaust damage over time.

I'd try it first before going too far with the repairs. I had one of these motors and they can take a beating. I never changed anything on it, not even the plugs. It ran like a top every season I had it, gave it to my cousin and it's still running. Just try it in a garbage can and if it spits water by itself, the impeller might not be done.

On the other hand I have a 15 Yammie that is only about 8 years old and had to change the impeller on it. It was a really easy job, I hadn't done it before and it took about an hour and most of that was figuring out where the impeller was LOL.

But I'd give it a try in a garbage can full of water and see how it is. You'll know more after that then you can worry about what to do to it.

for places around our area I would suggest that you STAY AWAY from the place on Grand ave east that is coming from many people that have had very bad luck there you might be stuck with gettign parts from them but don't get work done there.

Merit marine is a great place and works on all models but.

Or there is Chatham marine on St.Clair out towards the TSC store also on the right hand side he is very nice and does great work from what I have heard even though I have not taken anything there anyone I have talked to sais he is great.

for places around our area I would suggest that you STAY AWAY from the place on Grand ave east that is coming from many people that have had very bad luck there you might be stuck with gettign parts from them but don't get work done there.

Merit marine is a great place and works on all models but.

Or there is Chatham marine on St.Clair out towards the TSC store also on the right hand side he is very nice and does great work from what I have heard even though I have not taken anything there anyone I have talked to sais he is great.

A buddy of mine has reffered Merit Marine to me. He takes his 9.9 there to get work done, and he said good things about them. If it comes to it, they will probably be the ones I go to.

Maple City is the store your talkin about on Grand and I agree with the general consensus... Ive gone in there to look at boats and they arent the most helpful bunch... it seems as though if you not lookin to spend $20000 +... they arent ready to help you ! The service aspect is the same... again the same friend that reffered Merit Marine to me also had work done at Maple City and was NOT happy at all !!!