Minnow tank/business

ColdH20guy

Hi Guys

Just curious if anyone has ever been in the 'minnow business' and what is involved in finding a couple of tanks....licence needed to 'trap them? etc

Is it worth the hassle if there is a need for one? What the process is?

thanks for any thoughts

Guest gbfisher

From what I hear about the minnow business it's that gobies have put a real damper on things. If you are caught with gobies in your tanks, you get a Hefty fine. Try sorting through hundreds of gallons of minnows and getting rid of all the gobies. Even the wittle wee ones that look like skulpins. Plus the transport rules now in effect. Its a tough go.

Not saying it isn't doable but some have dropped out of the business for just that trouble alone.

I think that some day soon there will be no more live bait being sold or allowed in most lakes.

Just my opinion.... :Gonefishing:

Any idea where I/We can get "Bait Harvester License" information??

Can someone provide a link?

OMNR

1-800-667-1940 (TTY for Hearing Impaired - 1-866-686-6072) between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday.

Even in this neck of the woods, it's hard to get an open block. The whole province is divided in blocks and a license covers one block or area. If a block is already taken, no one else can get access to it. Go to the nearest MNR office and they can show you a map indicating what blocks (if any) are open near you. I picked up a couple of blocks one year and had to drive an hour to get to them to find not enough creeks, lakes or swamps in them to make it worth the drive so I dropped them. It works much the same as a trapper's license, when you hold a license for a certain area, then that area is exclusively yours. Only way to get a trapper's license now is to buy from a trapper who is retiring. Many licenses have been passed down for generations.

Edited by Bob

i know afew people that may still be selling afew block area's with tanks and nets included. all you'd need is to set up an account at prax air to get oxygen and transfer the licences with the ministry. the best way to find out is to get in contact with the bait harvestors assosiation of ontario. they do have a website, look up a guy named Mike Bennit. im sure he can put you in the right direction. As far as i know he's still the president. I was a harvestor for 4 years. its not the easiest job in the world and is VERY weather dependant! when the waters high its pretty tough trying to pull a 20' net upriver. i got out of it cause we were loosing so many spots where we had gotten bait the previous years cause small tribs were vitually drying up or being full of algea.

hmm..sounds kind of complicated ! Maybe I'll just stick to catching my own in the minnow trap I bought today at BPS....cant wait to try it out!

thx for the info guys....

Might be a wise choice ...to get a Bait Harvesters Lic is pretty much Nil and transfers do not work unless you have a Harvesters Lic in Hand allready ...you would need to take a Hacp coarse ...you can purchase a Dealer Lic but you would still need to buy your bait from a Harvester ...