Kayak ???

stasbrute

I don't know anything about that model, nor do I fish from a Kayak, but I have paddled a few down the odd river...Its a inexpensive entry model i'm guessing, If you buy it and decide its not for you... Or If you decide fishing by kayak is where its at, I bet you'll be buying a nicer more expensive model down the road. Either way you will probably be able to sell that one on OFC and recoup most of your money.

I started with a $279 Crappy tire special, that was almost 5 years ago. It's only 9'6" but was great for so many different fishing situations. And only weighing 40lbs, I could easily transport it on top of my car. I've been testing and renting at least 3 different boats every year since. I took the plunge on a new one in October but will always keep the little rec yak for my daughter and as a second yak for fishing buddies to use. I see quite a few of those pelicans out there and that price is cheaper than most other "big name" rec kayaks. As long as you aren't 6'2" or taller, or 220 lbs or heavier, you'll be fine in a 10ft yak.

I am thinking of trying out kayak fishing this year. What do you think about the Pelican 100 (for sale at Costco for 399 with some accessories) as an entry level boat

I bought a couple of them last year from costco. They are a great deal and a nice little kayak. Easy to fish out of and very stable.

As a entry level kayak they are a great value.

I have one up for sale in the classifieds in like new condition. might save you a few bucks if your serious.

Ryan

If you just want to try it, then rent them a few times to see how much you really like it. If you want to actually make it a method of fishing, then spend the way you would on your other serious pursuits.

There are free demo days all across the province this summer.

One thing for certain is that you will have no problem getting rid of a good fishing kayak, should you decide later on that it isn't for you.... that's why you can't find a good used one.

12' or shorter for small rivers, small lakes and ponds. 13' and longer for larger rivers, lakes and the great lakes.

good luck!

Before buying it might be good to drop by a paddleshack or similar kayak/canoe store and try sitting in different models to get a feel for what's best. We have a couple of different models and i can tell you that while they look very similar (esp to a layperson like me) the feel is vastly different.

Ironically the cheapest one we have is also my favourite....its a bit wider and more stable, whereas our other one is a faster boat....but far less fun, esp. for fishing.

Also, i tried fishing from a sit-on-top last week.....it was much easier than my sit-in kayak. Didn't get enough use out of it to comment on pros and cons overall (feel like its probably not as fast/easy to paddle as my sit-in) but first impression is a sit-on-top might be better for a fishing boat.

btw - i don't know anyone who has tried it and NOT liked it. I would bet that almost all kayaks for sale are by sellers looking to upgrade....not people just trying to sell something that doesn't get used.

btw2 - whatever happens, do NOT buy a tandem. They are painful.

CTC has a nice looking unit with some storage and one rod holder for $500. I think it's Old Towne (or something like that). I've seen that brand before. It was either at BPS or perhaps Gander Mountain down in Ohio. No idea if it's any good but I like the colour. :D

JF