Snowshoeing for specks

troutologist

Saturday morning at O dark hundred myself and a buddy were bleary eyed in the Hortons drive through. Sufficently stocked with caffinated beverage we were off in a driving conducive mixture of snow, sleet, rain and fog.

Metallica followed by Motorhead kept things moving at top speed for 2 hours when we reached the trail head.

An hour and a half on the shoes, with 1 Crazy Ivan mixed in to through off pursuit we arrived at the skating rink. This ice was unbelivably slick and resulted in falls every few steps....running to the lines after fish was going to be hilarious for the morning.

5 minutes after having a line down I had a single bell ring then nothing. After an hour we headed to a new spot.

The outflow of the lake, a shallow feeding shelf with between 2 points with quick drops to deep water...I set up in 3fow and the 2nd line in 5fow.

Just as I was preparing my mid-morning snack I was interrupted by my gad pointing down the hole...

IMG_05531.JPG

A nice start for sure!

My buddy had some smaller fish from water between 10-15' so after a lull in the action I moved off one of the points in 10fow

The reward

march_21_2009_speck.JPG

At this point it was raining hard and the fog was rolling in so think it got difficult to see your line over 50 feet away.

We moved over to the inflow to try our luck, hit one small fish right off the bat then nothing.

Soaked and satisfied with our efforts we pulled freight and headed for home.

Im hoping to get one more outing in before the rain and sun erode the ice.... all 30" of it.

Good Job! What a wet day eh! We went into Fife on Saturday...great walk..didnt need snowshoes till after Belanger.

We ended up getting 2 about the same size as yours, and then lots of little thiefs.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

all the way into fife? you a brave man in that wet snow but if you didnt' need shoes until the big lake that's pretty good.

hey troutologist, i was talking to winger and he had chatted your fish up to be much bigger!

great speck either way. you ever fished gargantua anders?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
It was over 3 anyways around 19"....both bigger fish were really fat.

It looks about 2-1/4 to me when compared to your hands.

nice fish no matter.

we bashed it...no trail...walk to Jeff (dont fish it though). Not a hard walk to it from Jeff, but back...Jesus...slow gradual uphill the hole way.

There were guys camped on Jeff from the Sault...said they didnt have luck there (didnt surprise me...i havent heard of anyone catch a fish from that lake)...they were headed to Gargatua...but didnt see them again.

My cousin and 2 friends were camping on jeff lake this weekend and fished gargantua. They spent 2 nights out there in the snow!!They did say it was warm but never mentioned the rain.. They also mentioned they talked to a group of guys heading to fife...must have been you guys???...they did good, lots of fish but the size wasnt there...I think thye hit a few nice lakers on the way out. Im sure you know what lake that is as you had to snowshoe across it....

TDunn