Friday the 13th - Skunkaroo Report

Leecher

Today I had booked the day off to go fishing at my favorite walleye lake. Got up at 7:00am, temp was -18C with a slight north west wind, bright and sunny :thumbsup_anim: Prepped the rest of the gear and loaded the car. Drove my daughter to school at 7:30am and was on the road at 8:00am.

Got to destination at 9:00am, here's a pic of the famous cross on the island at Lac St-Marie, click on the header of the pic to see it better

DSC01670.jpg

Before I drove onto the ice I stopped at the launch and did some thinking.... It's Friday the 13th and it's bright and sunny, the lake looks frozen solid but just could not proceed forward....

But all of sudden this guy in a 4x4 truck goes by me, down the boat ramp and heads out towards my hot spot.... I just looked at him to see what would happen. Nothing happened, he kept going until I could not see him anymore and this is when I decided to go ahead. I don't know, just had my doubt.

Got to my hot spot and proceeded to setting up my tipups. Drilled three holes, ice was a good 20" thick but by the time I finished, I felt the ice shake and heard a loud rumble from a fair distance..... I'm like, OK it's the ice building up cause it's below 0 and it's freezing. Started jigging and again, rumble, loud noise.

This kept on occurring every minute or so and was really getting on my nerves. All of sudden the ice shakes, hear loud noise and the ice cracks right between me and the car :w00t: I'm like Ok let's get the hell off the ice to shore. Packed all the gear into the car and drove off to shore.

Once on solid ground I felt a lot better that the car was parked off the rumbling ice.... Decided to setup near the boat ramp in the bay next to it. Walked on the ice and drilled three more holes... got setup again :wallbash:

The noise of the ice and rumbling did not stop all day..... I figured it out why this was happening, the water level was going down due to the Hydro dams being open because of anticipated floods. It was putting a lot of pressure on the ice and spooking the fish away :wallbash: Had a few hits on the tipups but no takers.

Here's a pic of my setup

DSC01671.jpg

At 2:00pm called it a day....

Had a great time, catching a fish would of been a bonus but was not meant to be :(

Going to try Lac Leamy tomorrow morning early for a few hours.

Will report back my results

Hope you enjoy the reading

Leechman

It was still a beautiful day to be outside Jacques.

Me, I got to chop wood for 2 hours this afternoon.

Yes Bruce it was a beauty day and had a great time. Did you go out last Sunday??

So did you clean the poop out your pants right away or when you got back to shore.

SkunkjpgforGlen.jpg

Jacques this thing was a pain to me this winter.

Not sure what you mean about that :lol: Didn't have time to check :lol:

Your result was the same as all my ice fishing outings this year!!!

Ice that makes too much noise is unnerving to me...small cracks are ok...but loud thunderous ones tells me to get to solid ground...and fast!! LOL.

Cliff from all the years I've been ice fishing, never heard the ice make so much commotion as today. I tell ya at some point I thought there was seismic activity going on :w00t: The noise sounded like a tree being hit by lightning and falling down and this is not exaggerating.... Once I had the car off the ice, I did not worry too much cause there was a good 20" of ice.

I felt the ice shake and heard a loud rumble from a fair distance..... I'm like, OK it's the ice building up cause it's below 0 and it's freezing. Started jigging and again, rumble, loud noise.

This kept on occurring every minute or so and was really getting on my nerves. All of sudden the ice shakes, hear loud noise and the ice cracks right between me and the car :w00t:Leechman

A real man would have got in the car and pulled some doughnuts to settle the'' Ice '' down and not his nerves.... :P :P

Hey Jacques there was a car parked at the little bridge on Leamy Lake tonight :wacko: :wacko: :wacko::w00t:

A real man would have got in the car and pulled some doughnuts to settle the'' Ice '' down and not his nerves.... :P :P

Hey Jacques there was a car parked at the little bridge on Leamy Lake tonight :wacko::w00t:

Yeah yeah yeah tough guy :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

There's no more driving on the ice for this guy this season ;) only walking :P

Paul you coming tomorrow morning?? 6:00am, got plenty of minnows!!

Yes Bruce it was a beauty day and had a great time. Did you go out last Sunday??

Not sure what you mean about that :lol: Didn't have time to check :lol:

Cliff from all the years I've been ice fishing, never heard the ice make so much commotion as today. I tell ya at some point I thought there was seismic activity going on :w00t: The noise sounded like a tree being hit by lightning and falling down and this is not exaggerating.... Once I had the car off the ice, I did not worry too much cause there was a good 20" of ice.

Jacques it may be the Lochness Monster of the Ottawa River.

Tomorrow morning is ..........Nature walk day with Cathy............ :worthy::wub:

OK.... no problem :blink: Tomorrow I'm going to Leamy again, early.

last thing i want to do is ice fish im SO SICK OF IT

i took all my ive fishing gear i literaly THREW everything in the far corner of my garage ! :angry:

soft water cant come fast enough now .........stupid ICE! :o

Come on Kev, there's still some hard water fishing to do before soft water :blink::lol:

Well, at least you posted your skunking....I've been too ashamed of mine this winter....getting to be too many to count

You'll get'em next time!

Thanks johnnyb, no shame in posting a skunk report and I know how it feels..... just had a good time out there. Landing a fish would of been a bonus for sure :thumbsup_anim:

Jacques it may be the Lochness Monster of the Ottawa River.

Mike, it may have been :lol: but I think I was a little too far north :)