Children Charities in Ontario...

Hey guys,

Can anybody recommend charity organizations that work with under-privileged children? I'm looking for something along the lines of children who live in poverty in CANADA and can't afford some of the things that some of our kids might take for granted. Like swimming lessons, or something as simple as a day out on the water with Dad.

Thanks in advance for any leads!

Cheers,

Ryan

Become a cub or a scout leader. Volunteering your time is probably one of the most important things you could do for them. Often kids involved in scouting can't afford anything else. As a former leader myself it's a great thing for kids.

It's a great excuse to get to the great outdoors too.

Become a cub or a scout leader. Volunteering your time is probably one of the most important things you could do for them. Often kids involved in scouting can't afford anything else. As a former leader myself it's a great thing for kids.

It's a great excuse to get to the great outdoors too.

Thanks for the tip Bernie! I coached girls high school hockey, as well as 8-9 year old kids as an assistant coach for a few years while I was in highschool myself. A couple of the girls I coached have gotten free rides to Universities in the States - makes you smile, but also makes you realize how fast time flies! One girl was 9 when I coached her, and now she's going to University!

At this point, with a 2.5 year old, a new baby that's weeks away from being born, and my busy summer schedule (traveling for work) I'd probably have to miss out on to many day's as a weekly volunteer. I do plan to donate my time once my kids are a little older, but I've been working on a 2 day event that I can pre-schedule and gather up some proceeds to donate to said charity.

Thanks again guys!

Cheers,

Ryan

What about Habitat for Humanity?

They put families in houses which over the long run has an effect on the lives, education level and success of the children in the future. The Habitat for Humanity program doesnt just help the child or family but it actually breaks the cycle of poverty and gives them a chance.

I should note that I work for Habitat for Humanity and I just thought I would throw this out there. There are so many great charities and this is just one of many, you cant go wrong when helping children.

I would second Bernie's suggestion. The only real outdoor exposure for many of these kids is Scouting. I also spent many years proudly wearing scarf and beads. Some of those youth, now full grown, are my 'part time sons'.

There is also Big Brothers.

Here are a few you can try:

1) I'm not sure what it's called but here in the Waterloo school board they have a Healthy Nutritian program which gives kids who go to school hungry everyday the chance to have breakfast every day.

2) Look into the Take a Kid Fishing Day - I know that our association has a program that brings officers and kids together for a day of fishing.

3) Make a wish

Here are a few you can try:

1) I'm not sure what it's called but here in the Waterloo school board they have a Healthy Nutritian program which gives kids who go to school hungry everyday the chance to have breakfast every day.

2) Look into the Take a Kid Fishing Day - I know that our association has a program that brings officers and kids together for a day of fishing.

3) Make a wish

The childrens lunch charity that you mentioned in #1 is Nutrition For Learning (NFL)

At my work they have the PC Children's Charity. They help buy toys and put a roof over the heads of local children and their families who can't afford it. As much as I dislike the Loblaws corporation's big decisions, the children's charity actually is a good cause.

Covenant House (National) and Turning Point Youth Services (Toronto).

I have friends on the board of both of these .

Sick Kids Hospital -company I work for is closely involved with them

PM me if you need more info or contact info.

TB

Edited by tinbanger