Quick Weekend Report

Zubris21

Well headed out again this weekend. Have been skunked the past few times out, and things didn't change on saturday. Headed up to the north end of Dease Lake to try for some lakers or whities. Kalvin had one on momentarily but reel problems saw the fish lost after only a few seconds.

Sunday we decided to head back over to Allan Lake for some Brook trout. The day started off kinda slow, we each hit a nice sized eater at our usual spot, but after about an hour decided to move. Tried out a shallow bay which I hear held fish, no luck there. Off in the distance we could see a narrowing in the lake, where 2 merging points left about a 15 foot gap. Kalvin set up on the close side while I ventured through the narrows. was in about 10fow with some short little weeds (still green) on bottom. It didn't take long before I felt a tug and the fight was on. Felt big right away, but didn't put up much of a fight until it saw the hole. All I saw was a flash of spots then my drag started to peel. After a nice little fight I landed this fat 23.5" estimated the weight to be around the 5lb mark, she was fat. Shortly after I manage one more smaller one then called it a day. Kalvin hit 1 more as I was walking out. We went 5/6 with Kalvin losing one right at the hole. 4/5 were caught on spoons tipped with bacon, while the 5th was a small panfish jig with a berkley trout worm.

DreAllanLakeBrookie235inhcesMarch10.jpg

That sounds like a decent fishing trip!

Brookies must be 'Canadas' fish; from northern B.C, to Nipigon, to creeks around Toronto, right to Newfoundland those scrappy, tasty most beautiful fish are everywhere.

Great post,

ehg

That sounds like a decent fishing trip!

Brookies must be 'Canadas' fish; from northern B.C, to Nipigon, to creeks around Toronto, right to Newfoundland those scrappy, tasty most beautiful fish are everywhere.

Great post,

ehg

Interesting observation. The lake in town here is stocked every 3 years. I've been asking around to see if there are naturally reproducing fish as well, or if the population is completely introduced. With that said, I'm not sure if brookies are natural up here, I haven't heard of any other lakes that hold them. I did, reluctantly keep this fish. Had I known she was a breeder it would have gone back for sure. I kinda wanted to see if she had eggs starting to develop, but there was nothing (looking for any sign that they may be breeding). felt kinda bad about keeping her, but she tasted awfully good.

Interesting observation. The lake in town here is stocked every 3 years. I've been asking around to see if there are naturally reproducing fish as well, or if the population is completely introduced. With that said, I'm not sure if brookies are natural up here, I haven't heard of any other lakes that hold them.

felt kinda bad about keeping her, but she tasted awfully good.

I was wrong! After posting i did a check and it seems like Brook Trout are only native to Eastern Canada.

Here is a great informative link...

http://books.google.ca/books?id=j35ZD6OS2J...result#PPA50,M1

Nice fish anyways,

ehg