Pike and walleye help

bassjnkie

I forget the brand, but there exists holders made specifically for worm harnesses. As for leaders, I suggest buying a spool of 80 lb Seaguar leader material instead of titanium.

Never thought of that, the same way the musky hunters set it up. Thanks for the tip.

Worm harnesses... a piece of pool noodle and tooth picks.

That sounds easier than the way I was thinking. I will shoot buy the dollar store tomorrow, I saw those the other day. Thank you.

If you're fishing pike somewhere that water clarity isn't gin clear, forget the floro and stick with the steel and titanium. Too many pike have shredded floro leaders of 65, 80 and even seen the damage to Scuro's 110lb Seaguar. Better safe than sorry.

Those leaders, just put em all together and make a single loop, then throw 'em in anywhere. No big deal.

Never really used a steel leader longer than about 12- 18 inches longs for pike, just kept them coiled in the tackle box-bag. The baits I was throwing intentionally for pike were heavy enough to straighten them out. Used longer steel leader when Muskie were the target, stored the same way and no real issues in the storage.

Did have issues with the quality of the steel leaders, crimps not tight enough, lost fish, and lure/ Poor quality snaps, lost fish and lures, even with the berkley cross locks, the string-ease snaps look like the ones to use for big fish.

Worm harnesses? a piece of pvc pipe with grooves cut on one end or both and some rubber bans will hold them, put the hook in one groove and a rubber band through the loop of the harness and put it over the groove on the other end.

I like these for my go-getters...should be good for your worm harnesses.

http://www.tacklebuddy.com/tacklebuddy.htm

They are hollow so I put my steel leaders inside them...you might have to double them over in the container, but it's wide enough that they won't kink. They'll bend a bit, but most lures you need a big leader with are heavy enough to straighten 'em out in the water anyway.

The diameter of the thing is pretty small, so depending on your harness material, they might want to coil when you take them off the holder, but my go-getters always lose their memory after a minute or two of trolling. The small diameter is a big asset when your looking for a place in your bag to store it, believe me.

Edited by bonghitts

it's the best way, i used a chunk of blue styrofoam, cheap for a guy who worked in a lumber yard and finishing nails, also handy in a hardware store

I found using regular 1 1/2 inch nails with the bigger heads worked better inserted through the barrel swivel of my carp hair rigs and then pressed down tight to the noodle...nothing sticking out or breaking off...

Thanks for the replies. For the steel leader, I went to Dollarama and picked up those small craft baggies. Then coiled the leader up individually and placed them 1 per baggie. Then I went to Bass Pro for some Seaguar Flouro, I have to give the leader a try.