fishing aound bradenton, fla.

Rizzo

heading to a part of Florida I've never been to before. I'm quite familiar with canal/pond fishing for bass and deep sea fishing around West Palm Beach, but no clue about the Gulf side. Are there loads of canals/ponds like you would find on the ocean side? Is there party boat style deep sea fishing (ie drift fishing)and is it worth it? Any help appreciated

There are ponds, but not as many canals as further south. There are deep sea Party boats, but they aren't quite like the drift boats on the southeastern side. Usually 6 or 8 hr trips, and they usually have a galley on the boat that sells sandwiches, cokes, and beer.At this time of year you may want to look into an inshore (bays) fishing trip, the gulf can be pretty rough this time of year. There's also public piers to fish off of when they aren't torn up from a hurricane.

When are you going?

Red Snapper season is closed 'til late April in the Gulf, but I believe Grouper and most other reef fish are open.

we head down there in a few days and will be staying for a week. I figured the deep sea fishing would be for reef-type fish. The thing i like about the ocean side is the variety of suspended fish...kingfish, wahoo, dolphin, sailfish, barracuda even the dreaded bonita...that fight like stink and swim a hundred miles an hour. I'm less interested in the grouper/snapper bottom-fishing experience. As far as freshwater, on the ocean side down by West Palm I love those little canals that seem to be everywhere and loaded with bass...and the golf course ponds are usually great if you can find a place that will let you fish.

I'm not sure if Tarpon are still in the bay with the cold temps, but that may be an option for you if you're looking for a fight... the big Bull Redfish and Black Drum should still be in close to shore too at this time of year.

Another option would be an Amberjack trip... you may have to see a chiropractor when you get back home after tangling with them!

There are the trolling trips for King Mackeral, Wahoo, Cobia, Mahi Mahi and the like... but they're mostly a boat ride.

If you don't mind going into the Clearwater area, there's a great inshore/nearshore guide that I've used the last couple of years. He's also a few hundred bucks cheaper than most of the guides in the area (app. $350.00 per day). His specialty is tarpon, but he does go after multi-species including, snook, redfish, and kingfish.

He works at one of the local tackle shops, and you can reach him from the web site below, just ask for Tyson Wallerstein and tell him that Ari sent you.

http://www.dogfishtacklecompany.com/id23.htm

If you want more info specific to the Tampa area, visit the site below for some great articles, and an excellent message board. Utilize the search function in the message board for any specific questions that you may have, or ask the locals. If you aren't sure about any of the hundreds of available guides or charters, do a search on them as well.

http://capmel.com/

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Hit up Honeymoon Island State Park with 3 dozen shrimp and some jigs... Make sure you are fishing the main channel by the change rooms. You really can't miss it. My oldman and I catch all sorts of fish there... pomps, whiting, mackerel, seatrout, small bonnethead sharks, ladyfish, permit, etc etc. $5 fee at the gate..

It's cheap compared to any charter and there are always fish.