pennreel

tomO

I bought a penn 309m reel for cat fishin and trolling. The info in the box said the reel was made for monofilament line, but nothing else, am I to assume thats all I can use or could I use a braided line. Anyone have one of these ? Thx

I just fill them (mine are 209's) full of PPro from 1500 yard spools. Probably be smart if I started using 1/2 mono and top half PP considering the # of rigging rods/reels I seem to be collecting. You'd be smart too with those 309's holding so much line. 350 yards of 30 lb mono = a LOT of power pro.

Edited by irishfield

I bought a penn 309m reel for cat fishin and trolling. The info in the box said the reel was made for monofilament line, but nothing else, am I to assume thats all I can use or could I use a braided line. Anyone have one of these ? Thx

Take your reels into your local tackle shop and have them spool it for you. Write down what you have on masking tape and stick it on the reel seat bracket.

Off the top of my head, I think you're good for 275yrds 30lb mono backing and 100yrds 80lb power pro. You'll never need more than 100yrds of braid for cat's and ski's. If you ever do need the backing, PLEASE let me know where you're fishing!

-Brian