ATV chains on the front yes/no?

Dondorfish

A couple of years ago, I purchased a complete set of chains ( all 4 wheels ) for my atv. Up untill now, I have not needed them, but with Skeeters snowmobile out of commision, and his hut nose-dived into a slush bed, I figured that this is a good time to try out the chains.

My question is: Do I install them on all 4 wheels, or just the back 2 ( I have heard both ways ). I have the front set, so its not like I have to buy them, so what do you think?

Don

BTW - its a 500 sportsman 4x4 - if that matters.

:thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Ran chains on the front on a previous set of tires because I had no clearance on the rear. Worked well on the front of mine because it also improves steering direction and braking. Ideally i would use them on all 4 tires. My ATV is full time 4wd with power to all 4 wheels all the time. If the ATV you are putting them on is limited slip on the front probably would be best on the rear.

It depends on how much traction you want. Chains on the rear gives you that extra bite when plowing or towing but chains on all 4's gives you a lot more traction. Lets face it, ATV's are not made for 2 feet of snow so use chains on all 4 if you can put up with the added vibration and or noise they tend to give off.

9 times out of 10 you will see an atv with plow using chains on all 4's. Tis a good idea.

Just cruised some atv sites and seems that Chains work better with normal tires as apposed to the big mudders as the chains fall between the treads and do no get as much surface area on the ground. Front chains might cause extra wear and tear on front components as well.

I do not know any of this stuff first hand, was just having a coffee and found the subject intriguing so i did some checking around. I also heard a few guys on another fishing forum discussing it a bit as well. And if you deflate the tire a bit before putting them on and blow up the tire into them it is also keeps them nice and snug.

Check out the ATV forums, they are a good resource just like fishing forums :canadian:.

Cheers

I had chains for both front and back

unless it's super slushy or glare ice I would only have them on the back

it's a lot more work steering with them on the front and you will dig down more then you need to in snow, where with out them you might stay on top but with chains you do dig in more, so atv works harder are do you

my choice back only

what Terry said,

if it's deep heavy snow you're going to needlessly "chew" thru it with chaiins and probably get hung up (if the snow's deep enough,

if ur looking for traction like for pulling a hut down a lake where there's a road or packed trail or glare ice, all 4 is the way to go

tip for those with or without chains, last resort if stuck in slush, put it to the bar and work the steering back and forth, you'll quickly turn the slush to mostly water and then be able to drive out easier, it's slow, but when worse comes to worse it works, i've done it a few times