Jackson's Point part two

Joeytier

This time around, I figured making the lengthy (to say the least) trek out to the whitie grounds from Bonnie Boats would not be my best bet, so we stuck to perch. I'm glad we made that choice.

All of our fishing was done almost straight north of the point in anywhere from 28-37 feet of water.

Our first spot was in about 28 feet of water. We probably fished there for 35 minutes, and only one school moved through during that time, producing 2-3 fish.

Pretty slow start.

We moved further north to a spot about 31 feet deep, and that is where at least 7 or 8 of our 12 keepers were taken. The action was steady for at least an hour, with most of the fishing coming off of orange buckshots with a small shiner. Even the bigger fish were not touching bigger shiners. Windlass tip-ups with shiners also went 2-for-3.

Eventually, that spot died off and we headed straight north another 300 feet or so. We didn't mark any fish or get a bite, so we decided to move about 200 feet east in about 37 feet of water. In our last 45 minutes, we had two schools move through, which produced 2 keepers and 2 other smaller ones. We headed in after that.

We ended up with 12 keepers, and released many other potential keepers early in the day expecting to catch more jumbos, but it didn't really happen. We probably caught 25-30 fish.

The ice was awful. It was slushy in the morning, but as the cold winds picked up, everything hardened, so there was 6-7 inch rock hard tire grooves EVERYWHERE, and trying to bring a sled over them on foot without tipping it is very difficult.

The shot looking north towards the whities huts:

IMG_0097.jpg

My rig:

IMG_0096.jpg

Buddies Rig:

IMG_0098.jpg

Biggest Perch (for some reason I forgot to snap a shot of the bag of keepers.)

IMG_0099.jpg

Edited by Joeytier