camp or lodge that has an airstrip

John Meyer

John, due to the Northern Terrain the pickins are pretty slim in many parts for where you can fly in on land and walk to your cabin, then hit the lake.

Can you be a little more specific as to WHAT you are flying. It will make a huge difference as to the few spots that are out there. Other options are flying into a dual use strip like Orillia/Lake St.John and then boarding one of Stanton Airways float planes to a back lake cabin.

Also how far North are you willing to go? What have you got in mind? Maybe you can fly most of the way and get picked up by the lodge. For instance you can fly into Red Lake and land on the 5000' of pavement and have one of many lodges shuttle you out of there..or from the float base at the town dock. Others like that would be Hearst and then get shuttled West down hwy #11 to the float base and get taken North.

Elmhirst Resort on Rice Lake just South of Peterborough has a grass 2800 ft airstrip behind the lodge. Land, tie down and grab a boat. http://www.elmhirst.com/ Strip designator is CPS2. You could also get your float rating while you are there!

Deerheast resort in Huntsville has a nice 3000 ft paved "hill" hiding in the trees/rocks just across the highway from the resort...but I wouldn't call it a fishing camp or lodge. High pinky hotel maybe... lol Designator is CDH1

There are others, but like I asked...what are you flying? Lots of grass strips, but you may not be wanting to land an RG or something on them. There's a grass strip just down the road from Lakair Lodge http://www.lakair.com/ that Kevin would surely run and get you from as well, but I have never seen the grass cut on any of my fly overs or drive bys...so you'd want to prearrange that for sure. It's also not in the Flight Suppliment anymore...so maybe the owner closed it up.

You could fly up to Moosonee (CYMO). just shy of Hudson Bay, and pay Moosebunk to take you on a tour of a lifetime!

Oh...and don't forget...you need a passport to fly back into your country! Don't need one to get here...we'll take anyones money! LOL

Edited by irishfield

Thanks irishfield for the info.

It is our first time thinking about flying in. I fly a fixed gear Cessna 182 Skylane. We should be able to get in and out of the Elmhirst Resort on Rice Lake that has that 2800 ft. strip.

I'm heading to work so I don't have mush time to chat but if you have any additional ideas please let me know. Thanks

John

Elmhirst would be a great spot and lots of fish to be caught right by the resort.

Also there are many smaller towns in the north with airports you could land at and most resorts will arrange a pick up for you there to there camps. Depending on how far you are willing to fly it can open up a lot of fishing for you.

Mike

John, years back I had a '58 182A that I visited many 1000 ft ultralight strips with! Yours would definitely be fine on 2800 feet of grass, or less, for sure fully loaded for a holiday.

If you give some more specifics as to how far North you'd like to go, what you'd like to fish for etc I'm sure the lads here, me included, will help you have an enjoyable trip.

Like Smokey says, lots of choices and small towns etc that have strips where the lodge will come and pick you up..even though it is really nice when you can leave 1/2 your stuff in the airplane and not worry about it being some distance away unsecure though.

Need to put some 'phibs under that machine! :rolleyes:

Wayne

Thank you Gentlemen -- one and all

First of all TennesseeGuy I need wheels on my bird when flying around Wisconsin so I'm not planning on teaching her to float. N---WR (Whiskey Romeo) is a lady of the land even though she likes to drink 100 LL at 12 to 15 GPH. Besides I have this other friend that is hoping to go along on this trip so --- maybe next time.

Well there you have it gentlemen. Now that I've done a little more studying about wonderful Canada. We a thinking about flying into anyplace in Sunset Country, North of Superior, Algoma Country or James Bay. We figure that we would fly up from Wisconsin and enter Canada thru either Sault Sanit Marie or International Falls. (We don't like to big a spance of water under us. If the engine quits I figure I can put her down in some clearing, fire lane or lake shore but I don't relish the center of Lake Superior)

Then head North - probably no more than 2 hours from the boarder which for us would be in those areas I mentioned.

Whiskey Romeo isn't equiped with tundra tires so something with around 2000 feet, somewhat smooth surface and hopefully mowed would be alright.

We have pass ports, studied customs requirements, etc so that doesn't seem to be a problem. Heck, all the TFR's, etc. we have to be concerned about in the US might make flying in Canada a breese.

So with that said -- what do you say. Any great ideas, suggestions or comments about more places in those areas.

Thanks again,

John

P.S. I do appreciate all your answers and comments please keep them coming. :Gonefishing:

Hi John,

Irishfield is probably your best source on this board since he's a fisherman and he's also in the flying business.

As Irishfield mentioned, Red Lake has a 5000 foot landing and the airport is close to float plane transportation. Land at YRL, which is actually in Couchener, Ontario.

I wasn't really trying to bum a ride because I don't trust the weather for a long ride in a 182. Driving through northern Illinois and Wisconsin is rewarding in August because I usually get a chance to watch a cropduster in action. Great show.

Good luck finding the right spot.

Edited by TennesseeGuy

• 2 months later...

Thanks Dave, Landlocked & Snowball. Those are the types of facilities we are looking for. With all your help we will have to make at least two trips north!

Dave do you have a website for the Kakina area?

All the best.

John

P.S. When is Ice-Out for central Ontario