Is it worth it

MarcusDiGiovanni

Hey guys!, just wanted to throw it out there, i'm interested in entering they steelhead tourney on the credit river in may, but i'm not sure if I can bring a fly rod?, i'm not all that experianced soooo would it be worth the trouble for me too go down there and fail? plus I dont wanna ruin someones day by tottaly holding them back.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Marcus

Srry I posted this earlier but it was in the wrong section, I wanted it in general discussion and I can't figure out how to use it, srry, :blahblah1:

:wallbash::whistling:

Im dumb :P

Go for it bud!

Get lots of practice in at a golf course or something and collect tips as you go.

Keep it simple, egg patters and popular flies. Sometimes a small stonefly will get them when nothing (even roe) will.

Biggest hint, learn a roll cast. You will not have room for a back cast out there and a roller will save your life

Roll Cast

Marcus I posted in your announcements section.

The tournament exists to teach, expand your knowledge and bring some awareness to the watershed. Of couse some bragging rights and some great prizes.

You wont be left out in the cold you ll be paired with an experienced angler who's role is also to teach and help with your learning curve. I see your an avid up and coming fly angler and as such Im sure you could be paired with someone who is experienced in that aspect. There are many many members of the club who are avid and in some cases decades long fly anglers.

Will you learn..... at an exponential rate

feel free to Pm me or Justin Elia if you want more info or vist the club site www.craa.on.ca

Go for it! You learn things faster from other people than when you try to do it alone. Treat each fishing trip as a learning experience and develop your skills. You learn even faster and remember things better when you fail.

Definitely learn to roll cast. If you have access to a pond, you can try practicing your roll casting there on the water. To roll cast, you need to have some 'line stick' in order to load the rod. Another option is to tie the end of the line + leader a distance away to something like a tent peg 30ft away and practice your forward stroke. Or tie leader full of blood knots with the tag ends of the knots left a little long - works well for grass. When you've mastered the roll cast, you can try things like spey casting which involves a roll cast + a change in direction and is more versatile for fishing moving water.

Of course it's worth it. How are you going to improve and get better unless you fail?

Well said, good budday. All you need is a little encouragement, say a coupla scantily clad cheerleaders..

I wonder though, how does one know who's the beginner and who's the expert? Can two intermediate dudes be paired up??

If that's the case, Solo... You and Paul are in the advanced category, so it wouldn't be fair if the two of you were to be teamed up.

Paul and I should pair up then, just to make it fair of course.

HD

PS: Qu'est t'en dit mon grand? On y donne ti la claque?! Si oui, envoye a grand coups dje t'aime!!.

Highdrifter,

To answer your question, I ask the participant to be honest with their skill level. Its a fun tournament, last year was not a problem, and everyone had a good time. I think most people know if they're capable or not.

Marcus,

Louis is correct, you will learn a lot of new techniques and tips to properly fly fish on this river. I like to pair people up of the same method of fishing as fly fishermen fish differently than float fisherman so there is a good chance you'll be paired up with someone who knows how to fly fish.

It will be a great time. The prizes put a little competitive edge on the day, but its mostly to learn, meet people, and raise a bit of money for our club. And afterwards we have a little grub.

J

Edited by justin elia