Trout basics

HUKDONFAWNIX

you will get a huge variety of opinions on this one...all depends on the extent of your fishing and how much $$$$$ you want to put into it

you don't neccessarily need the $1000 rod and reel combo and $1000 trout fishing costume to get into fish that's for sure. :lol:

do you plan on fly fishing?..float fishing?..drifting?..bottom bouncing?

Your day can be a simple as tossing around a couple split shots a hook and a roe bag

Be prepared no matter what you choose to use as your fishing equipment for the day to come with a wide variety of baits to macth the hatch...roe and or imitations in a variety of colours depending on conditions, also a variety of sizes from larger roe bag sizes to single egg presentations. Also a good variety of minnow imitating baits,streamers,different jigs in an assortment of colours, and other match the hatch type flies, always a good idea when you start catching fish or people around you are catching fish, try to see what they are usuing, if you keep a fish for the pan don't be shy, dig right in there and see what they are eating and go from there.

If you look on the board as the year plays out and different locations and seasonal areas come into tp play you will see a huge variety of posts with different presentations ect along the way. If you read the posts of the people who go out there and catch a huge number of fish and make it look as easy as anything, beleive me, those people all did thier homework and have spent may years developing the patterns that catch them all the fish. They also take into consideration the conditions of the area,the weather, different times of year, different times of day, post and pre spawn conditions, water clarity, fishing pressure and all sorts of factors.

The best rewards are just to get out there and give it a go and see what happens along the way. The best learning tool is expereince, get out with anyone willing to show you a few pointers. Take time a read back in different post ect on the forum lots of the info you are seeking is already there for you to read. :Gonefishing:

If you're stream fishing for bows/browns/specks...all you need to know is.... LIGHT LINE and TINY hooks!

Everything esle, is give or take. Doesnt matter what rod/reel you have.

LIke it was said before, you don't need the $1000 combo!

STEALTH is key for trout.

As for rods, the longer rods help you fight those big fresh trout on very light line. I wouldn't recommend anything under 11' but you could get away with it. spinning reels works fine for float fishing but if your serious about it a center pin will make your days a lot easier/funner and you will never think about float fishing streams without one ever again.. Your float rig should have a good lead, depending on the depth of water your fishing. most eastern Ontario streams are small and a 4-6' lead is good. Fluorocarbon leaders work very well and 80% of float fisherman use them. I wouldn't go higher then 6Lb but I use 4 and don't have problems loosing fish because of it. They take a little extra time to setup but when there's a lot of fishing pressure it's the way to go. I use a size 14 salmon egg hook.. you can get down to about a size 16. Some people like to use 10's and 12's but I think they are to big and unnecessary when you are only attaching a roe bag. I only use a couple weights directly under my float and one very small one about 18inches from my hook. A lot of people set up their line differently so you might want to take some time to figure out what way you like to fish. Trout fishing can be VERY exciting, just put in some time and you'll get the hang of it.

Last year trout opener on this particular creek, I had all my float gears and caught a dozen trout, while a family friend of my just had a simple spinning rod a few small split shot and a regular hook. (octopus 4,6) He placed a whole nightcrawler on the hook, and caught a lot of suckers, but sometime in the afternoon, he landed a nice 5lb rainbow trout! I guess you don't really need complex tools to catch trout, but it sure helps to have better target specific equipments. I guess most importantly for basic trout set up is, light flurocarbon leader (4 or 6lb) and small hook (size 10, 12, or smaller).

What kinda trout? would be my 1st question.

Ramble On has it right......

If you plan to target Steelhead or lake run Browns and if you are used to a spinning outfit then as GoneFishin suggests a float outfit is probably your best bet.

If you want to walk & wade throughout the season and target Rainbows, Browns and Speckleds then you may want to look into a fly rod & reel. River & stream trout feed on what is in their environment, insect pupa and nymphs, crayfish, minnows etc. as well as insects that hatch from some subsurface nymph and land back on the water during mating. The trick is to find out what is under the water for trout to feed on (what species is prevalent) and then try to match that with a fly pattern. Sounds simple but there is a lot more to it.

If you have some interest in fly fishing then try this for more info and to post any questions, there is lots of help here.......

http://flyfishingforums.hipwader.com/

Hope this helps.

For small streams chasing brookies and browns and some juvenile rainbows, nothing beats a UL rod (6'6 or shorter), 4lb mono and a smallish spinning reel (750 series Shimano would come to mind)

Get an assortment of #0 and #1 spinners and have a blast...