2 treble hook quick strike rig

Terry

ok to start with, it's cold out there

I got up this morning, and my driveway was plowed in

by the time I finished I was cold and back hurt, so I whimped out and will try fishing tomorrow

so don't bug me about whimping out...LOL

back to the question in hand

I was watching bob izumi and gord pyzer fishing in ontario for pike with quick strike rigs

with 2 treble hooks

which I read as being illegal on live bait rigs

gord is ex MNR, he should know?????????????????????????

now I am thinking, they feel that because it has a couple of small spinners on it, it becomes a lure and each treble then is counted as one hook

but I have been told that that does not count...what ya think

poor quality but I think you can see it

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i25.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid25.photobucket.com/albums/c52/Mrbeee1954/bob.flv">

feel free to jump in Bob, Gord

I was also told that adding live bait to a lure, you then have to count each point as a single hook.....

I had a mepps spinner with a treble, I added a stinger treble hook and live bait

a guy at the camp I was at said the MNR told him he had to remove the treble and put a single hook if adding live bait

I really wish the MNR would all read from the same book so we had the same rules with every CO out there

Only 4 baited hook points are legal in Canada eh?

A jig is a lure, what is it when you tip it with a minnow?... 1 baited hook point?... or is it still a lure?

If the quick strike rig was made up of 1 single and a treble it would be completely legal.

Edited by GCD

I really wish the MNR would all read from the same book so we had the same rules with every CO out there

....That there is certainly a problem. I believe it was Raf who said that different CO's have different views and/or interpretation's.

I'm pretty sure that in the old regs, adding a blade makes it a lure. But in the new regs it sounds to me like you are allowed to use 4 hooks per line wether they are trebles, singles,or used with bait or a lure.

Edited by DANIMAL

Watched that this morning too. Gord sure has a knack for stretching his fish. ;)

Don't much care whether it's legal or not... the rig suspends bait horizontal for a better presentation but... twice a hook got caught on the bottom of the hole and Bob had to dislodge it with his scoop, and twice did a fish come up with that second treble burried in the back of it's head. Now I don't imagine these guys are going barbless, and that second treble could just as easily be stuck in an eye next time.

Not sure I like those rigs... would have to try the old way vs that style in waters with some depth. That's where the horizontal presentation likely outshines a slightly more vertically dead quickstriked rig.