Advice for Spring Fishing Trip

ball9320

Hey guys, me and my buddies do a bit of a budget fishing trip every spring. Last year we camped out on the South shore of Nippising, but ended up with maybe 12 relativley small walleye and no pike for 6 guys and 3 days. Weather it was us or the conditions it wanst too eventful but fun none the less. This year we want to get some more good sized pike. I was wondering I could get some advice on where to go maybe 4-5 hours max from the GTA, towing a boat, where I could get into some good spring pike fishing. Preferably somewhere we could camp, im 20 and broke. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

You don't have to go 5 hours. I used to camp on Beausoleil Island out of Honey Harbour every May 24 weekend.

Big pike caught on dead bait on quick strike rigs under a float, dinner plate sized crappies on jig and minnow under a float.

Prespawn bass are in the area also but did not target them as they are not in season at that time. We also caught the odd musky when targetting pike. We also caught pike on body baits, spinner baits and jigs. Lots of sunnies and rock bass in the area too. The campground is very good with good washrooms. The area is quite protected and my first boat was a 12 foot tinny with a 5.5 johnson and it made the trip many times. A bonus is Honey Harbour is only a couple of hours north of TO. Here's a map and a couple of places to start. ;)

Park and launch in Honey Harbour (you will see the town dock and launch ramp) Then follow thw map. You may want to reserve a spot or two if you're hitting it on a long weekend.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/on/georg/index_e.asp

GeogianBay.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

What a great post by Drifter. Not sure if I can beat it, but, for a 5-hour drive, it's Temagami alllll the way! Whether you camp on the big lake, or hit one of the many many back lakes, it's pretty hard to pass up. Lakers are still shallow at that time, and the pike should be warming up quite nicely :)

You don't have to go 5 hours. I used to camp on Beausoleil Island out of Honey Harbour every May 24 weekend.

Big pike caught on dead bait on quick strike rigs under a float, dinner plate sized crappies on jig and minnow under a float.

Prespawn bass are in the area also but did not target them as they are not in season at that time. We also caught the odd musky when targetting pike. We also caught pike on body baits, spinner baits and jigs. Lots of sunnies and rock bass in the area too. The campground is very good with good washrooms. The area is quite protected and my first boat was a 12 foot tinny with a 5.5 johnson and it made the trip many times. A bonus is Honey Harbour is only a couple of hours north of TO. Here's a map and a couple of places to start. ;)

Park and launch in Honey Harbour (you will see the town dock and launch ramp) Then follow thw map. You may want to reserve a spot or two if you're hitting it on a long weekend.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/on/georg/index_e.asp

GeogianBay.jpg

I worked/Lived on Beausoliel Is. for a few months on summer/fall. at Camp Kitchikewana. I'd imagine you were staying at the public dock on the bay opposite the camp. Great bass fishing around all the docks in the fall, just be careful, you will get shooed away from the camp if there are still people there. Don't want little kiddies getting a hook embedded in their foot while swimming. Also my friends family has a beautiful cottage just off the southern tip of the island. Beautiful place I love that area.

Another good spot might be fosters fishing center near napanee. only about a 2-2.5H drive east of TO. I've gone the weekend after wally opener the past 3 years and have had good sucess with the walleyes. Have not fished pike while there, but there is a huge marsh that can be seen from the docks that is said to have great pike fishing. The campground is nice, not busy on that weekend, prices are fair, and staff treat you well. check into it!

Honey Harbour advice sounds great, thanks for the detailed post with map, thats awesome! Was also wondering about the Bay of Quinte, never fished there before, but lots of big ones out of there it seems.

Forgot to mention Fosters is on the bay of quinte.

:Gonefishing: I have stayed at foster's a few times many summers ago and found the camp and the guys quite friendly and helpfull. The best place for pike and I have caught many down there is west of fosters and along the south shore when a north west is blowing in.They seem to go for the may flies .Steve