the automatic fisherman

pike slayer

ok so back about a month ago i was looking around here and places on different types of slammer tip ups. and someone on here send me this link http://www.automaticicefisherman.com/

i really liked the setup and it was something you could dial in within minutes and not have to rebuild your slammer for different rods and what not. over the xmas break my buddy was out in edmonton and he stopped at the fishing hole and called me and asked if i needed anything. i told him to look around for one of these automatic fisherman. He asked an employee at the store and he said they were sold out and they cant keep them on the shelf. My buddy went after a few days later before he left and they had a few at $50 and he liked the idea so much he just bought it so we can share it haha. So we fished yesterday and today for lake trout and im truely disapointed with it. I find lakers like to grab it and swim with it a long ways then stop and eat the bait. we got lots of hits and it went off many times and we did not catch a single fish on it. our traditional ways seem to work the bestfor letting lakers run and will stick with it. i find this product would only be good for pike which i have not tried yet. It certainly works great as a sweet rod holder haha!!

so far i have only tried it with lake trout. i dont see it working well with walleye and panfish. possibly whitefish it may work well. what you are counting on is the fish to come swimming by and just swallow the bait and start running, doesnt usually happen that way and a deadstick seems to work better cause they can play with the bait longer before getting hooked. at the local tackle shop here they are sold out also selling over 100 of them in the sault area. poor ppl and darn i wish i was the guy that invented it

i have made one and it is pretty good for pike but i also fish with a 3/0 wide gap hook with 4 inch minnows so they get the hook in their mouth 90% of the time as for wallies they are terrible it yanks the minnow away from them before they can swallow the entire minnow and u go through a pile of bait in a day in the long run they end up costing alot more than the initial cost!

Interesting website, on the link for using the product for northerns they mention using 10" crappie for bait LOL!

Anyhow, is there any way to rig that thing with your bail open so that the fish can run when your rod pops up? Maybe with an elastic band ? Might work better...

using 10" crappies inst crazy, i use big sucker minnows and 1lb cat fish for pike.

if you closly at the pics theres a bobber type thing that you put on the line and you set how far you want the line to go before it tips up but you can only pull like 2feet max or it ends up on the ice and freezes there. theres no point in opening the bail cause it would still get set off pulling the bait out of the fishes mouth.

using 10" crappies inst crazy, i use big sucker minnows and 1lb cat fish for pike.

if you closly at the pics theres a bobber type thing that you put on the line and you set how far you want the line to go before it tips up but you can only pull like 2feet max or it ends up on the ice and freezes there. theres no point in opening the bail cause it would still get set off pulling the bait out of the fishes mouth.

It goes without saying that 10" crappies would be deadly for bait LOL! (But I don't think it's legal in most places :) )

Hello..... I use the automation fishermen for daughter and it hooks 98% of the time...mind you i haven't use it for lakers yet but everything else under the ice it hooks ...you can give it a longer lead , get rid of the float that goes on the line...i pull the lie out and put something on it and let the fish take it..for perch i leave it as is...hope this helps

test.JPG