ice trip

fishless

hello all

just back from the cottage, sand lake [kearney ont].well sad to report but i didn't think ice was thick enough for my liking.measurement was 4'' i like to be safe rather than sorry.also if you are heading past orrilla for ice fishing according to the nice lady at pete sports her store is the only one left north of there for minnows.petes is located just north of orrilla [past webers hamburg joint] thought i would put that info out there for all.trails will be open this weekend in the kearney area. jamie

His attitude will keep him alive guys! Hats off to him!

Clampet..that "Cowboy" that came by in the airboat on the Sturgeon River was actual the rescue unit and I bet that someone in one of the houses on the bluff called them about you and your buds on the ice and they were just being proactive. Good thing you didn't need them with them getting stuck and all! LOL

His findings sound right. Left the family cottage on a small lake near Bracebridge on Sunday after finding terrible ice. For the first 100-200' there was 4-5 inches of ice although mostly white, from there it got thinner and really scary. There was about 6 inches of snow that fell on the skiff of ice that remained through the warm spell and left the lake in a terrible mess and it was not recovering all that quickly. Hopefully the last couple days, and the next few fix those lakes up for everyone.

Yes Jamie, Irishfield is dead on with the appraisal. Look at the Einstein that went through the ice at Cooks Bay. Again, every year you can pretty well pedict how many will go through. They start in August crying their chants of "Where's the ice?....CAN'T WAIT". It's too bad that some of these people have children.

Please, for your parents and families at least, take care.

Glad you had the smarts to back off till a better time.

His attitude will keep him alive guys! Hats off to him!

Clampet..that "Cowboy" that came by in the airboat on the Sturgeon River was actual the rescue unit and I bet that someone in one of the houses on the bluff called them about you and your buds on the ice and they were just being proactive. Good thing you didn't need them with them getting stuck and all! LOL

We walked out with the lead guy roped around the waist checking the ice every 10-15 feet with a chisel.

Also they are very experienced. Many years of first ice ventures. I used to 20 years ago.

Walking on the ice requires 2" of blue ice. 4" holds the skidoo, no problem. Been there, done that.

That fan boat had three people waiting on shore at the launch for him.

Me thinks they had plans to fish the open water a la fanboat.

They were not there to rescue us. That's fer sure.

I might live in the city, but I'm no city folk by nature.

I hear yah Clampet..I was being tongue and cheek..but with a point.

I'd rather see this young lad promoting safety and a fear of questionable condition 4" of ice...than someone with enough age/knowledge that he shouldn't be promoting walking on 2.5" of ice, especially in a high current area. Some stuff is better left out of the text of a post, as there are MANY impressionable young minds still being programmed here on OFC and I wouldn't want any one of them thinking.."well he did it so we can do it."

Edited by irishfield