Help with Sportsman's Lodge (Little Vermillion) in June

hogsmally

I am headed to Sportsman's Lodge on Little Vermillion for the first time in the middle of June. I am looking for information on catching trophy pike during this time. Mainly, lures and types of areas (and depths) I should be fishing. I have an idea but it is a big enough lake that I could use some guidance.

Also, do i need live bait at this time to catch enough walleye for a quick shore lunch? I would prefer to use lures. (power grubs, etc.)

It is my first fly-in, and I want to be armed with as much info as possible before I go. Thank you in advance.

Lumberjack

Welcome to the OFC!

I'm sure you'll get some feedback, just hang tight for Connie, and some others.

Oh, and you picked a hell of spot for your first fly-in. I have the feeling once you fly in there, you won't want to ever fly in anywhere else again!

dk

Hey LJ44, welcome aboard. You picked a terrible time to hit LV. I'm going in May 12 and out June 2. By the time you get there all the small walleyes will be eaten and the huge pike will have a tender lip from chewing on my Suick. Whopper is joining me for the May 19 week and he & I will probably boat neary a ton of fish during his week.

You won't need live bait for walleyes. There are plenty of small to medium 'eyes and they'll hit a plain 1/4 oz jig with a 3" grub. Powergrubs are probably better, but not necessary. I've never done it, but some guys tip their jig with a small piece of nightcrawler and the stink probably helps. Table Rock is a great shore lunch spot at the south end and you should be able to pick up a meal of walleyes in just a few minutes within a few hundred feet. If not, try the outlet that's just a mile away. At the north end you can pick up a few walleyes at Walleye Point and there are a couple of good shore lunch spots within a quarter of a mile. No need to keep walleyes until near meal time. Coming in at night you will find walleyes quickly near camp at Middle Narrows, Surprise Bay or in the cabbage on your left as you arrive at camp. Fresh walleyes are better. Sometime during your stay you'll be sitting in a bay during a calm time and you'll experience huge boils as Whitefish surface for a mayfly meal. The next day you'll find hundreds of walleyes in the back of a bay where wind has blown mayflies into shallow water. The hatch doesn't happen at the same time in all areas of the lake, so your fishing will not be harmed. If your fishing is messed up by the hatch in one spot, go to another spot. Walleyes will always be around for you in the mouth of Rathouse River, mouth of Nungesser River, mouth of Whipsaw Creek and at the Outlet. They'll be in moving water and pike will also be around.

You might be on the lake during the shiner spawn. They'll let you know where they are by jumping when you swim your lure through their spawing site. Don't wear it out, but hit the spot a few times before the spawn is over and you'll be rewarded.

Some in camp will still be using dead bait, but it's not necessary and it's something I try to avoid even in mid May. Pike should be hitting spinnerbaits, 1 1/8 oz JSM tipped with a Powergrub or something else that stinks, and Suicks. You'll find them near walleyes, in fresh weeds, in & near moving water and on points of large bays. Locate walleyes and pike will be close by.

Treat the lake nice. Try to kill only small, male, walleyes if possible and don't harm any pike no matter what the size because she has the potential to reach 30 pounds.

This should get you started. Hope it helps.

Hey LJ44, welcome aboard. You picked a terrible time to hit LV. I'm going in May 12 and out June 2. By the time you get there all the small walleyes will be eaten and the huge pike will have a tender lip from chewing on my Suick. Whopper is joining me for the May 19 week and he & I will probably boat neary a ton of fish during his week.

OH Yeah! I'm really excited about this trip. :D

I promise to leave ya a few! :thumbsup_anim:

Whopper

Table Rock is a great shore lunch spot at the south end and you should be able to pick up a meal of walleyes in just a few minutes within a few hundred feet.....No need to keep walleyes until near meal time....
I know Connie isn't joking, but when I read that, I can't help but laugh out loud....

This should get you started. Hope it helps.
I would think so! Well done Connie!

There's some good Karma stored up for you, and waiting at LV this year!! Enjoy!

dk

Thanks for the info. I'm getting excited about this trip.

. Is there a trick to getting that map site to come up? I've tried it on three different computers and it won't come up?

A couple of last questions:

1. Does the map that Sportsman's give you list the landmarks of the lake?

2. How dangerous is the lake to navigate?

Of course all I will take care of the lake, and only keep some small wallies to eat :D

And I don't mind if the 45" that I catch is used :thumbsup_anim:

Lumberjack