Trip to the cottage

Bernie

Ok. will try again.

Headed out to the cottage for a couple days for the first time since October. Heavy snowloads earlier and recent wind storms had me concerned about damage. The ice conditions have prevented me from going out any sooner.

So I loaded the ATV up and headed west. This is Hwy 534 towards Nipissing from Powassan.

P1020340.jpg

Along the way the South River intersects. It's still flowing hard from the recent thaw.

P1020344-1.jpg

When I unloaded at Wades Landing I spoke with Shelly on how it was going getting their shacks out(Anglers Haven). They were not using trucks yet but 2 sleds in tandem to get them out. A couple hundred yards away Dennis from Ice Bungalows was using a Suzuki Sidekick to pull his shacks out.

This is my buggy to get around out here if the snow isn't too deep.

P1020346.jpg

I caught up with one of the Ice Bungalows crew on the way out. It provided a bit of a wind break.

P1020347.jpg

When I got to the cottage it was a little chilly inside.

P1020349.jpg

Added a little heat and it was cosy in no time. Sipped back on a black russian and it was zzzzzzzzz's in no time.

Slept so well I didn't stoke the fire through the night and it was a little chilly by morning but a couple sticks in the fire and a fresh pot of coffee and life is good. This is what my kitchen window looked like when I woke up. And then a pic sticking the camera briefly out the door. You can see the branches of trees a couple hundred feet out on the ice from the wind. No damage to the cottage though.

P1020353.jpg

P1020355.jpg

Felt good to get out there again. Next weekend will be digging out the fish shack and ice fishing gear to prepare for some visitors. Hope the weather holds for a while.

Edited by Bernie

Forget it. Nobody was interested.

Mods delete please.

Bernie..... if this was the post that you had pics in them, please put it back.... was just about to say that it's a real nice view of the lake from the cottage :thumbsup_anim: but now it says none.... what happen :unsure:

Jacques

Edited by Leechman

Bernie,

Nice looking ride you got :thumbsup_anim: and I'll say it again, nice view of the lake from inside your cottage :thumbsup_anim:

It sure looked cold when you got there @ -14C :w00t:

Is this lake Nippissing? and what species are you targetting on ice up there?

Jacques

This is on the South Bay section of Lake Nipissing Jacques. I am not much of an ice fisherman, had too much of it as a kid. But I did have a good time doing it a couple times last winter. The prime target for me is walleye but perch are great to eat as well so a batch of them are fine with me too.

Once you get a slimey old pike cleaned up they are pretty good too but only if the skunk is around.

Great stuff Bernie.... thanks for the info.... Yeah nothing like a good feed of perch and eyes

Pike is good too :thumbsup_anim: If you give it a go this year, want to wish you best of luck :Gonefishing:

It sure is beautiful country up there.... will be keeping an eye out for your reports :canadian:

Thanks again Bernie

Jacques