Best chip for new GPS?

Fishn Technishn

Wife got me a new GPS for Christmas. :clapping: It is the Lowrance XOG(crossover). Was wondering what the best chip would be. I fish mostly Kawarthas, Lake St. Clair and Long point Bay. Have heard that the Navionics chips were pretty good?? I DID use the search function but it is still vague.

Any suggestions and/or experience would be most appreciated.

FT

Hi Ft,

I have the Navionics Gold 14XG (Great Lakes & Maritime).

It has all of the Great Lakes and the Trent System (which means the Kawarthas).

I am not sure if it has Lake St. Clair as I am unsure of where it is, and so far the only way that I have found to check what is on each map is by opening them and then zooming out to find the myriad of over-lying squares, then zooming back in to see if the lake you are interested in has numbers in it. The search by name feature does not list Lake St. Clair (or most of the lakes that the card covers).

If I sound slightly exasperated it is because I am.

Now I should say that like every good guy, I have not yet cracked the owner's manual. But the way that it looks right now is that there is a list of maps (called names like 1G649Xl.nv2, not Lake Erie East) that you have to open then go find, in order to know what is covered.

At first glance I would have to say that the software does not seem as user friendly as it could be. As far as the cards actual usefulness it is still a mystery to me.

Jim

Hi Ft,

I have the Navionics Gold 14XG (Great Lakes & Maritime).

It has all of the Great Lakes and the Trent System (which means the Kawarthas).

I am not sure if it has Lake St. Clair as I am unsure of where it is, and so far the only way that I have found to check what is on each map is by opening them and then zooming out to find the myriad of over-lying squares, then zooming back in to see if the lake you are interested in has numbers in it. The search by name feature does not list Lake St. Clair (or most of the lakes that the card covers).

If I sound slightly exasperated it is because I am.

Now I should say that like every good guy, I have not yet cracked the owner's manual. But the way that it looks right now is that there is a list of maps (called names like 1G649Xl.nv2, not Lake Erie East) that you have to open then go find, in order to know what is covered.

At first glance I would have to say that the software does not seem as user friendly as it could be. As far as the cards actual usefulness it is still a mystery to me.

Jim

you can cross reference them here..

http://navionics.com/GoldPlusFAQTable.htm

I'm probably going to need one of those chips also for the same area.

Sounds like the lavionics gold is preferred so far. Anybody know anything about the fishing hots spots series and how they compare ?

I'm sure there are some older versions of these chips out there priced perhaps a bit more reasonably (i.e. used) - are the latest versions that much better if you're just looking for the basics - e.g. depths/contours?

Thank you to all for the replies. This is certainly going to help as I was leaning towards the 2008 Hot Maps chip(yes I know sour cream & bacon chips would be better for all you yucksters!! :whistling: )

Next question is Anybody got any suggestions as to where is best place to buy in/around London??

Thanks again

FT

get the Gold Chip as mentioned... yes it has St Clair

please post a review of that GPS after you put some hrs on it... im interested as to how well they will perform

thanks

So far the XOG does super work in the big truck very user friendlyand bang on with distances and directions. Looking forward to my birthday in April so I can pick up a lake card for mine as well.

jjcanoe