Lake Trout Fishing Methods

tibbs

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking ahead towards the summer when i get to spend a week at my uncles cottage in August. I think im going try to

get some trout (Lakers, Brookies, Rainbows, and even some Splake) this year. What techniques are out there instead of

using a downrigger. (I'll be fishing out of a 12' Jon boat with a 3 hp Johnson on the back.)

Thanks,

Tibbs :thumbsup_anim:

August... I'd say find 100 FOW and start jigging, if you don't wanna downrig or use steel line. Another way would be a 4 ounce + weight on a three way swivel and troll.

What lures should i use to jig?

As well you can use a dipsey diver and wire line,or another awesome method is to use segmented leadcore !!!! :whistling: many trout have been taken with those 2 ways !!! and its not too expensive to rig yourself up a rod & reel that can handle either set-up !!!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Could i use a 7'6" Heavy action rod for dipsy divers?

Also i think the lake is only goes down to 60 feet.

Thanks for the help so far guys! :thumbsup_anim:

If it only goes to 60 FOW they'll be down in the deepest crannies of it in August, unless there's a glacier stream flowing into the lake !

If jigging I'd use a similar approach to ice fishing. Williams Spoons. Medium sized tube jigs and this year I'm even gonna give my big Fuzzy Duzzit muskie jigs a whirl.

Well wayne a 10 color will do the job,and i guess it depends just what lake he is fishing in too,there are lots of lakes that are less than 100ft that have lakers,but yes if he is going to be in a lake thats deep like 90+ ft than ya leadcore would not be as effective for sure, the new torpedo divers are a good way to get down too,4-8oz snap-weights will work as well,but you need a heavy action,rod and a decent reel with a pretty good capacity as well...so all the options will work, you can also use a 4-6oz bottom bouncer,and drift shoals,or mid lake humps & dropoffs,there is the copper line set-up as well,but you need about 400ft,behind the boat,it works well,where you have lots of room to move around!!! you cant turn too sharp with 400ft of copper behind you thats for sure !!!!

http://www.carpenterlakecabins.com/how-to-...-lake-trout.htm

thats the "traditional" way,the way grandpa use to catch them.

http://www.chapleaulodge.com/lake.htm

this is a newer better way!

when going for specks either use grandpas traditonal gold spinner with red beads and a worm/minnow or try small spoons like little cleos, EGBs, williams, etc

for inland rainbows same setup as specks but increase the size of spoons, bait, etc.

Walker makes new divers that are more accurate with settings ( release and tilt) roughly 25 bucks....make sure you set a very stiff rod with braided line ( it gets costly to lose them along with the lure)

Lead core is very good but you require alot of room on the water for manovering the line ...keep that in mind on how big of lake your fishing ...and as stated earlier ..they will be deep ....best trolling sppeed at that time of year for them is 2.2 mph ( use gps)

Lure selection ....i recommend monkey puke , watermelon or cracked ice NK mags ( if your running steel lures)

Body baits .....any lyman lure will do good all day long ( dont bleive the myths of only running wood in the morning or night )

Third option ...i have a couple of cannon riggers ill part with cheap one is manual and one is electric...i have new ones so i dont require them anymore

Jigging (if you know where the fish are). Try a dropshot rig with a heavy tube jig on the bottom and a smaller bait - white flukes work - about 2-3' above the tube jig.

Trolling: I use an outrigger clip with a large sinker attached. I clip the downrigger clip straight to my line about 15 feet above whatever lure I am trolling. When you have a fish on, you can reel in, remove the outrigger clip and fight/land the fish with nothing between you and the fish. I have used this system down to about 70' with good luck.

The second trolling method I use is a FishSeeker. Kind of like a Dipsy diver, it is very good at targetting certain depths by using a series of holes that adjust the angle of dive. It flips over when a fish hits, so there is no drag while landing a fish. I found mine at BPS.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jigging (if you know where the fish are). Try a dropshot rig with a heavy tube jig on the bottom and a smaller bait - white flukes work - about 2-3' above the tube jig.

The second trolling method I use is a FishSeeker. Kind of like a Dipsy diver, it is very good at targetting certain depths by using a series of holes that adjust the angle of dive. It flips over when a fish hits, so there is no drag while landing a fish. I found mine at BPS.

I think im going to try both these out.

For the Fishseeker what lures should i use?

All great tips!

I have tried riggers on my lake (Wollaston) many times to no avail. I think the wire hum spooks them. Jigging & inline planner boards seem to work. The "experienced" folks still hold to wire line.

I like the back trolling idea....I will try next year...

Thanks for the help everyone!

I think im going to try both these out.

Something that the trout will hit! :clapping:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I normally troll spoons for lakers. My best producer is a williams wobbler, 1/2 and 1/2. After that, I would try a jointed floating rapala or a kwikfish.

Lead core will absolutely work if you dont troll too fast ... I have dragged botton at 160 feet ... trick will be to use a long (10 ft leader of no more than 6lb test) and a very light flutter spoon - like a mooselook or dartee ... that way you can go relaitvely slow but still get good action on your spoon ...

I like to come to a drift ... let the line get down to (or near to ) bottom then 'gun' to trolling speed ... its amazing how many hits you'll get during 'take-off'

When the bite is really on ... which can be for relatively short windows ... I will free spool line back out while gunning it forward ... then come to a complete stop to let it sink to bottom ... again .. many hits will come on the flutter to bottom .... and repeat from above ...

By the way this works on deep August Brookies just as well as Lakers ...

Fishseekers are awesome. Nice thing about them is they don't put a huge load on your rod. You can troll them with spinning gear no problemo.

Use spoons or crankbaits. Just bear in mind that a diving bait will run deeper than the depth of your Fishseeker.