The longevity of braided line?

muskeybugged

First off I haven't had the chance to wish all you OFC'ers and family's a Happy Christmas and a Merry successful fishing New Year - Happy holidays as well!

I'm new to using braided line and while doing my winterization chores to my soft water fishing stuff, I had noted that the braid on both my baitcast reels is now done it's second season, well from August of 07' through till now. The line is either #50 or #60 Power Pro. I figure it has probably around 20-25 days of good hard fishing, and a hand full of quick morning and night outings (mainly musky/pike and some Port Credit carp). Believe it or not, it has caught some fish too! (No real monsters .... But fish). The line still seems to be strong as can be, casting was not a problem although I ended this season trolling and landed my PB Musky on what turned out to be my last trip out this season.

I was just wondering what everyone's experience is with the longevity of their braided line?

What characteristics should I be looking for to tell me to retire the line?

Or will me cutting the first 10 foot of line here-and-there to re-tie run me out of line before the line gets old? I've noticed it's either packed itself tighter around the spool or I'm running lower.

I've asked Santa for another spool but don't want to waste good line if I don't have to.

Any input would be awesome, even if it's to tell me I'm a fool to still be using line that old. :unsure:

Stay safe!

I use braid on almost all of my rods and I'm "thrifty" as my wife would say, so something I do if I have plenty of line left on my reel and it's still in pretty good shape is I'll swap the line from 1 reel to another so the "lightly used" line is now on the bottom end of the spool and the line that hasn't yet seen the light of day is on the outside, ready for another season or two of fish pounding action! :thumbsup_anim:

I'm usually changing it because it's running low. You can also take the line off and put it on backwards. The line inside barely sees the light of day so that would put the frsh stuff on the outside. I'm figuring it should be good for 3 or 4 years(probably longer)

Great idea and I would have to agree with you. I have had Spider Wire on most of my set up's for almost 3 years now and it's still holding strong. The Berkley Crystal that I have I hate, it's like casting with dental floss...

I can remeber having 50lb Iron Thread one of the first braids made by Fenwick on a frog rod for about 7 years. Same bait tied on for that time as well. Caught a ton of fish opn that green scum frog and finally lost the lure to a pike on the Trent. Figured after that it was time to change.

Edited by Fang

gbw ,, can't agree more . that stuff doesn't get a 2nd chance ,, i disliked it that much. thick aukward dental flloss, i thought.

stren super braid is a god-send , especially for ice fishing for pike . it's been 3 years on some rewound spools without issue . i'll keep inspecting , but i've heard 5 even 10 years is possible 'cause light doesn't affect it like mono. exaggerated ,,maybe . frays are your best indicator. check every retie is the rule.