Safe Boaters Card

darsky

There is an exception for rentals.

I know people who have went on fishing trips over the last couple years and a liscence was required by the outfitters before they could rent a boat.

I myself have mine, have been in boats since I could walk, grew up running all different sized boats, way back over 20 years ago a marina on LSC when I was a teenager, my grandma had a cottage and I would rent a boat from the local marina,,,way back then, they didn't care about safety gear ect..the guy atthe marina would point me to the boat, hand me a lifejacket and say..."it's a Merc, if you have trouble starting it, goof around with the choke" :lol: , and off I went.

Growing up as a somewhat experienced boater, I thought it was a little lame when they came out with the boater's cards that you could go online...fail, then write it again 2 seconds later with the answers in another window and pass as many people have gotten away with over the last few years.

If I don't pass the test, can I try again?

The test can be written as often as required, although it is strongly recommended that a course be taken if you are unsuccessful the first time. The test can be written only once in every 24-hour period.

This was cut & pasted from the Transport Canada site.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...eratorfaq.htm#v

Not saying how well it's enforced. Also other good info at the site.

Best Wishes: Rick

There is a new set of rules for administering the test that make it harder to do at shows, you can't do it at your home or online other than a class setting. whoever is giving the test must have a set of the rules etc.

A lot of the new rules are being ignored same as the old ones.

The card is a cash cow given to private organizations because no gov. org. wanted to do it, if they did it would be costing us a lot more in the form of a renewable license. The hope that it would be a gateway to more advanced courses didn't pan out and attendance to advanced courses actually dropped as people figured thats all they need.

The commercial boaters card is far more advanced than the PCOC and should be up and running by now but I haven't heard too much about it. This is what the guides and anyone working on a boat would need.