Yamaha 2.5 H.P. Got One? Opinions

Nemo

Looking for a small portable motor for some back country stuff and portage lakes. Would like to be able to strap it to the canooe when necessary.

The Yamaha 2.5 caught my eye at the boat show.

Just wondering if anyone had one and wanted to provide feedback good or bad. Also if they had a line on a reliable dealer in the GTA that I could speak with.

It's MSRP is $1,049.00 and specs below.

Thanks in advance.. Nemo

Engine 1 cylinder

Displacement 72cc (4.4ci)

Bore & Stroke 54x31mm (2.13x1.24in)

RPM Range 5,250-5,750

Compression Ratio 9:1

Induction System OHV (overhead valve)

Fuel Delivery Carburetor

Starting Manual

Ignition TCI

Lubrication Splash

Degree of Trim/Tilt 4 positions/ 80°

Exhaust Above Prop

Cooling Water/Thermostatic Control

Gear Shift F/N

Gear Ratio 13:27 (2.08)

Recommended Fuel Regular Unleaded (Minimum Pump Octane 87)

Recommended Oil Yamalube 4M

Oil Capacity .35L (.33 qt)

Shaft Length 15" - 20"

Weight 17kg (37lbs)

Well here's an alternative, Honda 2HP, $1045, 3Star energy rating, one better than Yamaha, 27lbs, thats 10 lbs lighter than the Yamaha, it has a shallow water drive that the Yamaha doesn't and, the model I checked and quoted comes with a centrifugal clutch that allows the motor to run at idle without the prop engaged. It's rated as the highest small outboard for fuel efficiency. Might be worth looking at. I'm sure 1/2HP isn't going to make any screaming difference on water speed, but 10lbs less weight might make it easier to balance the canoe.

My 13 year old 3.3 mariner is great, and my buds 8 year old 2.2 johnson works equally as well, but being 2 strokes they get a lot of carbon buildup.

They are indeed very noise, even at idle, and at 33 lbs. and less, are easy to carry over your shoulder into places. I have even put a shoulder strap on mine and slung it over my head and behind my back, and carried the canoe on my shoulders going into places.

Another bud owns the 4 stroke 2 hp. honda, and it is lighter, and quieter. There is really no difference whatsoever in speed between all of them unless the canoe is unladen.

Weight of them on the canoe was never an issue. Mine is on an outrigger off the side of my canoe, and it has never been a problem.

Yamaha vs. Honda, don't know about the small motors, but they are pretty simple and easy to maintain. If you like Yamaha, I don't think you will be disappointed, unless its a real lemon right from the get go.

But the Honda's are very nice motors.