Finding Perch

Curtis

I am now living on a private lake in southern ontario... I have been fishing it for about four years and in the first two years landing nice jumbo perch was not a problem. But in the past two years i have yet to land a fish on the ice. I am fishing the same area but not fish even the same lures. The lake is about 35 ft deep in the middle and along most of the shoreline there are steep drop offs from 2-5ft down to 10-15 then the lake basin at 35ft. The only place i have yet to fish is out in the deep water is this where the fish are holding?

ct

Try shallow flats about 8-16' deep that still have weeds where the scuds are.

Use 4 or 6# Fluorocarbon leader & tiny Crappie jigs or minnows about 6-12" off bottom.

Use a spring-bobber on your rod-tip to see the strike & hit fast.

Just try and head out more often and be persistent. Try and head out when the ice is safe and drill a bunch of holes all around. If it was me, I'd just use (as mentioned) pickerel rigs with minnows and play the waiting game. Perch seem to come in schools and its often fish after fish followed by long periods of nothing. Depends on the size of the lake, I guess. Are you finding pike instead of perch by chance?

if you really want to find them you have to look for them.

alwasy use 2 rods (check regs though)

drill 2 holes, setup different baits, try different depths, 15-20 min no bite, relocate....keep doing it untill you find them. mark it on gps so you have it for next day or next season.