NF Home theatre

holdfast

I'm looking for a very cheap Home Theatre as a second system for a super small room. Il mostly play Music CDs, MP3, and watch an occasional Movie on a non HD TV. Sound is kind of Important. Ive been researching through the net and got mixed reviews on the Coby at CT or RCAs. I'm looking at paying less than $150. I have a good system (Denon/ Cerwins) this is like I said for a small room that I'm constructing for myself. Appreciate any reviews or recommendations.

Thanks

Try Craiglist or Kajiji.ca

Buy those used 2-3 year older though bulkier 46 or more inch HD CRT TV for $500, they will last you for a long time with no maintenance. They are very durable, and can compete in picture quality versus many flat HD LCD model today. You need to maintain todays HD LCD TV, not HD CRT model. Why sell technology that needs maintainance?

Buy a used Japanese branded 5.1 surround sound for $50, those big bulkier stereo are better made than those mini ones of today sold by walmart. The older ones have not only power but low noise distortion, now buy some older bigger speakers with decent thickness on wooden box. Big decent ones for the two main front, cheaper smaller ones for the center and rear channel. Two main front ones are the most important.

Important to get the low frequency of a larger sub woofer. (star trek TV series has a low hummm depicting the starship enterprise constant movement in space which only a large sub woofer can produce).Buy those older big 10-12" cone subwofer for $75 under coffee table model, it can produce enough vibration and travel on ground below our normal hearing level even at minimal 5 watts input. Small coned subwoofer with small box cannot produce the vibration low enough that resonates like earth quake vibration. The thicker the box material , the lower the sound, plastic made material will not produce low enough frequency. You want vibration not sound.

New technology are not always as good as slightly older ones. Why is our cellular phone getting big again? Why do we take out the carpet, install hard wood floors and then put another smaller rug/carpet on top? Why are we putting fibreglass material on rod (ugly stick) when Graphite is more superior overall. Tennis and golf industry had stayed away from fiberglass tech for years.

Those small mini unit speakers cannot compete against anything that is big, speakers need to have enough thickness of wood to absorb vibration, except the high pitch ones, for the rear, which you do not necessarily need any bulky stuff. I spent $15 center channel speaker.

Having a good sound does not mean we need to blast the power output of the stereo, a good speaker can do what it should do even at 5 watts input, the speaker cone will resonate.

Room needs to be balance as well meaning enclose, sound needs to bounce on walls.

Edited by bassfighter

Sears has a good little 300W LG set for 149 on now.

LG 300-watt DVD Home Theatre System

model #HT303SU

5 satellite speakers

subwoofer

single disc DVD player

high gloss piano black finish

1-year manufacturer's warranty on parts and labour

Our current website price: $149.99 until Dec. 11 2008

Item Number: 572 529 100 10

Go into a store this weekend and they'll have a $10 coupon for you too!

Edited by ctdd2006

I decided to get the RCA 317 on sale at Canadian Tire for $119 I'm going to leave it till after Boxing Day in Case something comes up. I checked out different Reviews and it seems most people like it. I'm not expecting nothing earth shattering just enough sound to fill in a small stairwell Room /Office I'm currently fixing to keep busy as if I'm not in most cases. What got me hooked is that you can Rip Cd's onto an MP3 Player. It'll keep me busy as I got Hundreds of Cd's.