Something a little different.

pameladallaire

I'll post the recipe;

Cinnamon Buns (Make Ahead)

I always make an icing sugar frosting for xmas morning but they are in the freezer now just waiting to be put in the microwave. An easy xmas treat! It may seem like a complicated recipe in print, but once you've done it, you can do it in your sleep. :)

I make 4 times the recipe of dough for our hungry 12 person family. They hit town on Thursday. :unsure: Most people can get by with doubling the recipe.

If you want STICKY buns instead of just cinnamon buns, put brown sugar and cinnamon inside. Use glass baking dishes to prevent the sugar from burning. (I went to the second hand store and stocked up on glass pie and baking dishes.)

Dough: 1 pkg. active dry yeast (I use instant bakers yeast equivalent slightly less than 1/2 Tbsp.)

1 cup scalded milk and cooled to warm

1/4 cup sugar

(Optional Ingredients: 1/4 tsp. powdered cardamom and 1 tsp. vanilla! The Finnish version.)

1 tsp. salt

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup melted shortening or butter

Mix in 2 cups of the total 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour. Use the rest for kneading in.

If using dry active yeast, dissolve in the warm milk. Stir in the all ingredients but the flour, then add the first 2 cups of flour and stir until very sticky. Mix in more flour until dry enough to turn out on the counter to knead. Knead, adding a little more flour as you need it, until smooth (about 5 min.) and it feels like soft skin, not dry.

Put vegetable oil in the bowl you used to mix the dough. Roll the dough around in the oil, cover with a towel, and let rise until double, can take up to 2 hours depending on the temp. of the room. Don't be hasty because you only rise it ONCE.

Rolling it Out: Punch down dough and divide it into 2 balls (4 if you doubled the recipe). Roll it out, on floured counter, to make a rectangle shape. Rub the upside of the dough with soft butter to hold the sugar and cinnamon, about 2 Tbsp. per rectangle. Make sure the butter reaches right to the edges of the dough. While you have the shortening out, rub the glass dishes with shortening so the buns don't stick.

Turn on the oven to 400 deg F. You don't rise them in the pans once you're finished or they will rise TOO high and fall over.

Sprinkle on sugar cinnamon mixture: 1/4 cup sugar, or brown if making sticky buns.

2 teaspoons powdered cinnamon

(When applying the sugar and cinnamon, leave one long edge of the rectangle free of sugar mixture to seal the roll.) Starting with the edge covered in cinnamon sugar, roll up to the clean edge and cut into 1.5 - 2 inch lengths.

Place the buns in the pans with 1/2 inch of space between them for rising. Bake at 400 deg. F, in the middle of the oven, for 15 -20 min. or until golden. (My oven runs hot so it may take yours longer.) Cool completely before freezing. Microwave when you want to eat them and drip icing all over the top! YUMMY.

Icing: 1 cup confectioners sugar (icing sugar)

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1 Tbsp. milk or a little more to make a runny icing.

HAVE A VERY MERRY XMAS!

Pam