coservation areas gone to money- pit

waterwolf

being a guy who loves the outdoors living within the confinds of a decent sized city has many obvious drawbacks. i've been watching a beautiful conservation area virtually disappear with the intrusion of multiple housing developements. i've phoned or visited many government offices , conservation agents and private land owners asking permission to hunt these properties with a bow . same response pretty much ,, "no ,that's conservation land " from the agents, landowners say we like the deer ,,no thank-you. which ofcourse is fine but,,,.then one year later ,the property is sold , a developer has moved in ,and there houses are as far as the eye can see.

where are the deer now ?? the deer of the claireville conservation area , brampton, are now running out of room to live. i have pictures of over 30 deer in a field at one time . their fate is sealed. road-kill . what a waste . "don't you dare go in there ,you legally applying , ethical hunting , game seal buyin' ,,,,,,, hunter." you could do some major damage to the eco system in there.

the area is most certainly large enough to allow for a small lotterty -type draw [or something to that effect] to take place . not a huge revenue for the gov. but it doesn't look like can turn up their nose to much these days. i'm sure this is not an uncommon occurance today, but when it hits at home in your face , man it hurts.

losing an incredible haven for wildlife within the city boundry is one thing ,, knowing it's inhabitants are forced out , most likely to meet the bumper of a passing urbanite is salt in an all-too-certain wound.

i guess my frustration lies in the muck of why is an area so well protected from those who really appreciate it only untill it's sold to those who wish to do it so much harm.??

Same on the lower Credit River & elsewhere.

I figure a "Bow Season" would be neat..but highly unlikely.

Imagine the press a deer would get if it was wounded by a poor-shot & running around a park with an arrow in its head!

was this a crown designated conservation area, or private property that someone turned into a conservation area then sold it??? There is a list of conservation areas you can look up for Ontario amd it will tell you if there is hunting or no hunting and if so what you can and cannot hunt on the property and when.

I am on the executive committee for a conservation club that is on NPCA property (Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority) it is no hunting however but there are some NPCA property where hunting is allowed,..our club house/hall is there and part of what pays for our building lease ect is taking care of a big chunk of the property,groom trails, cut the grass, trim trees, ect. I may be able to find out for you how to contact someone who may be able to answer your questions and to voice your concerns.....is there any local conservation or fish and game clubs near you, they might also have conatct number as well or be able to provide you directly with answers to some of your questions becasue I am sure if this was a "public" conservation area then someone would have or should have tried to keep it that way, so some people local to you where probably on the forefront of trying to protect the area :Gonefishing:

Something that always makes me shake my head, is that the oak ridges morraine is supposed to be a protected area, but yet there are subdivisions going up all over it.

A friend of mine recently put in an application to get a pool in his own backyard, of course the application was denied, but the housing developments around his place sure put a chill to the summer heat.

It just goes to show how money means more to some people than anything else.

Just my opinion.

Subdivisions and big box stores are taking out forests all over the place. It's ironic that they take a spot ,covered in woods and filled with wildlife, and wipe it out only to put in a subdivision and name it "deer run" (which is exactly what the deer did), or "Fox Hollow". Somehow people think they are living in an ideal wildlife setting after the area has been virtually wiped clean of animal habitat to put street after street of houses in. Conservation areas that are in the way of urban sprawl and which don't have local community groups supporting them will probably have a harder time staying natural.

Beats has a point. It kills me when I see a beautiful forested area with a development sign in the middle of it expounding on the virtues of living in "Pine Ridge" or 'Beautiful River View". Then when they develope it they bulldoze all the trees and limit the beautiful river view to a few big dollar homes. New developers keep putting high concentration housing on properties with no conservation considerations and the cities allow it. Tax dollars speak louder than vision or common sense. Up here in Ottawa we have the same deer problems, especially in the west end. Like someone mentioned earlier, a controlled hunt would be better than road kill and dead comuters.

(sorry for the rant-it's a friday and too much coffee already)

welcome to brampton west, that is pro development pro expansion of a tax base and has no real concern about the environment, we have been along side with our partners fighting to protect the corridor on the credit for years, finally Mississauga is about to pass a by law that is forward thinking and way ahead of its time....

The valley has a major deer population and there is some brief discussion of the need one day for a cull....but who knows on that

When I used to drive from Waterloo to Mississuaga daily, there was a population deer that hung out in the fields adjacent to the 401, between Miss Rd and Mavis. I would see them every morning, spring and fall without failure, hanging on the outskirts of the bush near the farmers field, about a dozen. As urban sprawl took over, I would see a carcass on that stretch every now and again. Over the past five years they dwindled to nothing.

It was my morning escape to look for them as I drove the gauntlet approaching Metro. Traffic is always crawling or stopped every morning right there.

I know deer tend to be overpopulated, but it is still sad to see what was once a thriving population get pushed out of their green space by development to end up dead on one of the busiest stretches of highway in North america.

Even here in north oshawa,they have cut down,and are building up to 3,000 homes,and taken out about 2 square miles of fields & very thick oak & maple forest that have had deer forever !!!! the loss is huge,home after home,and just small maybe 1 acre,woods now located just here and there,right to oshawa creek,and 2 small feeder streams are now gone !!!! they have already pushed out at least 4 farms where the wildlife lived you could drive up there almost any day and see deer all the time,its all gone now,and they are still building,and will not stop !!!! all for the tax dollars,and for the developer to get rich !!!! :wallbash::wallbash: