Who Eats Carp

Clampet

I thought Id look up the word Racism and found nothing here that would put you in that Category. Just oversensitive new Canadians I suspect, trying to cause problems again. Don't know why they would feel so inferior, Papa told me Jews considered carp a delicacy. Im sure someone will find that offensive too.

RACISM

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races

I am a second generation Canadian. Nobody used the term racist but you two. I looked this up.

id⋅i⋅ot   /ˈɪdiət/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [id-ee-uht] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.

Edited by hammercarp

I did not use the word racist. You did and if the shoe fits wear it. Do you seriously expect me to believe that you have never seen anyone target carp and take some for eating? Where have you done most of your fishing Inuvik ?Do you fish with your eyes closed? You did not say " I am saying that given the choice, most ppl seem to prefer to eat fish other than carp? " You said "Of all the people listed who eat carp, ie, Polish, Russians, Japanese just to name a few, I have never seen these people catch and keep carp in Ontario." As to carp being easy to catch. Yes they can be, they can also be tough to catch just like any other fish.

Like I said "garbage."

Again, I have no idea where you are trying to go with this. I'm sorry it upsets you that people in general don't eat a lot of carp. I have seen tons of carp caught in my life time and can completely honestly say that I have seen only 1 person ever keeping them. I was just walking by and not fishing. Not that that matters. Your initial comment was very vague except that you showed your distaste for my post.. so you left my no choice but to assume you were implying I was being racist ... which I wasn't . Don't play innocent. I don't edit my posts, and stand by what was written. THey are there for anyone to read and I won't change them. I don't understand at all how you are reading that differently. You seem to be basing your dislike of my post on assumptions that I am secretly seeing ppl eat carp all around me.. Well, I'm not. Sorry. Lastly, go eat a carp. It was your suggestion. Feel free to PM me further as I don't want to be the reason for a decent thread being shutdown based on your inability to read and re-read my posts without prejudice.

I fished carp pretty well exclusively for 2 years during college, and try to target them at least a few times a summer now, so I've got nothing against them...they put up a heck of a fight...but I'm here to tell ya, I took my brother-in-law who was a chef out fishing for them last season and he took a smaller one home to try and cook up and it was absolutely repulsive....maybe he isn't a chef anymore for a reason :lol: but man after smelling that thing being cleaned in my kitchen I couldn't even fish them for a good couple months! I've gotta be honest, after the smell of it being cleaned and cooked in my house, I couldn't bring myself to have a bite...he did and didn't have a second...that was enough for me!

I'll try to dig up the pictures we took - it looked tasty at least!

ps. it's a bummer that a fun thread like this had to go south on us.... :wallbash:

ps. it's a bummer that a fun thread like this had to go south on us.... :wallbash:

No kidding. I used to catch carp a whole lot as a small kid. Lots of opportunities to find them since they are almost everywhere. I used to catch them on just bread mostly. Haven't targeted them myself in years but there are some monsters here in the Thames.

My friend caught a carp last year and invited me to have a carp meal.

Here's the menu:

Tofu Carp head soup

P5271423a.jpg

Deep fried Carp filet

P5271424a.jpg

Dry tofu something paste Carp

P5271426a.jpg

Steamed Carp in black bean sauce

P5271427a.jpg

To tell you the truth, as I recalled the soup taste fishy.

I like the deep fried Carp filet mainly because I like deep fried filet.

As for the Dry tofu something paste Carp and Steamed Carp in black bean sauce,

the sauce actually were strong enough to "cover" the fishy smell. Not bad.

Some people eat suckers and they're supposed to be okay. I'd be more apt to eat a sucker than a carp but if done right I'd try it. Carp are supposed to have floating bones which turn off some people. Eels are kinda creepy but they are also supposed to be good and next summer I am gonna try one. So you shouldn't knock it until you try it. You just never know. You might be surprised.

Haven't targeted them myself in years but there are some monsters here in the Thames.

yepp, I lived in a fraternity house on the corner of Mill st. and Talbot......anyways, it was about a 5 minute walk to some prime carp angling...we had many good times and fond memories made down on the banks of that river with the boys! The spring redhorse sucker run is amazing to, we got some monsters in there, pushing 24" if I'm remembering correctly. We tried cookin' them up to, they tasted fine, but the flesh was a little bit mushy and they were near impossible to "de-bone". It wasn't until my third year of school that I got a bass on corn and soon discovered a fantastic smallie fishery, as well as pike and plenty of rockies...

A good recipe for carp:

Preheat oven to 350f

scale carp and roll in egg wash and flour

completely cover carp in manure

Bake on center rack for 6 hours

let cool

remove manure

throw away carp and eat manure

Here's another:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0002...uillabaisse.php

Bouillabaisse

Posted by Elise on Jan 2, 2004

Filed under Low Carb, Main Course, Seafood, Soup and Stew

Print Options

According to tradition, there should be at least five different kinds of fish in a proper bouillabaisse. In Marseille, considered the mecca of bouillabaisse, they use at least seven, not counting the shellfish. The fish should be extremely fresh - caught and cooked the same day. If you cannot get extremely fresh fish, then the next best alternative is quick frozen - fish frozen the same day it was caught. Use as many different types of fish as you can, such as fillets of flounder, haddock, cod, perch, white fish, whiting, porgies, bluefish, bass - almost any combination. Count on at least three kinds to serve six.

icon-print.gif

Bouillabaisse Recipe

Print Options

Ingredients

Stew ingredients:

3 pounds of at least 3 different kinds of fish fillets, fresh or quick frozen (thaw first)

1/2 cup Olive oil

1-2 pounds of Oysters, clams, or mussels

1 cup cooked shrimp, crab, or lobster meat, or rock lobster tails

1 cup thinly sliced onions

4 Shallots, thinly sliced OR the white parts of 2 or 3 leeks, thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 large tomato, chopped, or 1/2 cup canned tomatoes

1 sweet red pepper, chopped

4 stalks celery, thinly sliced

2-inch slice of fennel or 1 teaspoon of fennel seed

3 sprigs fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1 bay leaf

2-3 whole cloves

Zest of half an orange

1/2 teaspoon powdered saffron

2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup clam juice or fish broth

2 Tbps lemon juice

2/3 cup white wine

Sliced French bread

Method

1 Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large (6-qt) saucepan. When it is hot, add onions and shallots (or leeks). Sauté for a minute, then add crushed garlic (more or less to taste), and sweet red pepper. Add tomato, celery, and fennel. Stir the vegetables into the oil with a wooden sppon until well coated. Then add another 1/4 cup of olive oil, thyme, bay leaf, cloves and the orange zest. Cook until the onion is soft and golden but not brown.

2 Cut fish fillets into 2-inch pieces. Add the pieces of fish and 2 cups of water to the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Add oysters, clams or mussels (though these may be omitted if desired) and shrimp, crabmeat or lobster tails, cut into pieces or left whole.

3 Add saffron, salt, pepper. Add clam juice, lemon juice, and white wine. Bring to a simmer again and cook about 5 minutes longer.

4 At serving time taste and correct the seasoning of the broth, adding a little more salt or pepper if need be, and maybe a touch of lemon juice. Into each soup bowl place a thick slice of crusty French bread, plain or slighlty toasted. Sppon the bouillabaisse over the bread. If desired, serve with Sauce Rouille. Serves 6.

Directions for Sauce Rouille:

1 Tbsp hot fish stock or clam broth.

2 cloves peeled garlic

1 small red hot pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup soft white bread, pulled into bits

1/2 cup olive oil

Put hot fish stock or clam broth into the bottom of a blender. Add garlic and red hot pepper, salt and bread. Blend until very smooth. With the blender still running, add olive oil slowly and stop the blending as soon as the oil disappears.

At serving time pass Rouille in a little bowl along with the bouillabaisse. Each serving is about 1/2 a teaspoon that you stir into your soup. Use gingerly like Tabasco.

I am a second generation Canadian. Nobody used the term racist but you two. I looked this up.

id⋅i⋅ot   /ˈɪdiət/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [id-ee-uht] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.

Take a happy pill and stop pulling the you, said, "You People" card out and making a derogatory comment. I know exactly what you were insinuating. Are you going to take everybody's statement and pull it out of context for attention? Nothing I hate worse than a man that denies what he says or means. Are you really that Spineless? You remind me of a Jellyfish. Like I said, I agree with what Beats said to you. he has no Idea what he said could seem offensive. I think your just trying to jump on the Bandwagon with Rich. By the way I hate carp, they are garbage fish. What do you think. oh, Merry Christmas, is that offensive to you.

I think your just trying to jump on the Bandwagon with Rich.

Kinda like you interjected yourself on the bandwagon with Beats eh?

Oh, and I quoted you because I know it bothers you.

I kept my opinion to myself, exactly as I said I would Holdfast. No need to drag me into this. All I said is that I was offended by his post, and that's why I decided not to go any further. I was trying to avoid all the stupid bickering.