nipissing

dheitzner

Drove by Callander Bay on Saturday. Want to go for a boat ride? It was pretty much wide open other than a hundred feet out from the shore.

It may be a blessing though Darcy. Once we get a cold snap it shouldn't take long to freeze up.

The South Bay is frozen over, unfortunately though. With 2 ft of snow on it the ice will be a longer time forming and slush will be a problem.

No frozen over yet....some bays are frozen, north shore is about 300 yds out ...be a few weeks yet.. It needs to stop snowing.

Like Bernie said... slush will be a problem I think...

Smaller lakes were being used on 3" of ice last week ... kiss that ice goodbye!!...

a foot and a half of snow will have fallen in two days by tomorrow...there goes the ice..

now if all that slush can freeze we'll be in good shape.

:Gonefishing:

We' re goin out on jan 6....the earliest we've ever gone....every other year we seem to take a beatin so we decided to go ealier this year.....i've heard that the ealier the better for fishin but what about the ice conditions are they pretty consistent year after year?

phil

Edited by buddyphil

Hi Folks,

Anyone out there from the Callander area of Lake Nipissing?

Just sitting here thinking about my Jan 1-4 trip and wondering if any ice has been made yet?

Thanks for the replies,

Darcy

I think you have bad timing.

Jan 1-4 is usually known by the locals as the January "Thaw".

The saying referring to January being sooo cold as to be as "Slow as molasses" doesn't apply in these new times.

But....you can never really tell. I may be wrong, it could firm up real quick, let's hope so fer your sake.

I may be wrong, it could firm up real quick, let's hope so fer your sake.[/color][/size][/font]

On the South Bay, I heard yesterday, there is only an inch of ice under close to 2 feet of snow. We need a thaw. There will be no ice formed until the blanket of snow is reduced.

That wasn't what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the update.

Hopefully it will tighten up over the next couple of weeks.

Darcy, other parts of the lake may not be quite as bad as the South Bay so don't get overly concerned yet. The main lake and Callander Bay just froze over so there isn't the amount of snow there as there is in the South Bay and the Sturgeon Falls area.

Well Bernie, that is excellent news.

My trip is to the Callander area with Rob Hyatt, so hopefully he can get his bungalows out in time.

There are some cold temps forecast for the area, so we may be alright.

Thanks so much for the update, I have my fingers crossed.

Darcy

Just got off the phone with a friend who decided to stay at his island cottage for the freeze up. He fell through a week ago trying to cross a short waterway to mainland while on snowshoes. He said he wasn't going to join any polar bear swimming events in the future. :whistling: