MarCUM or Vexilar

BUSTER

I've got a Marcum LX5...

I'd hold off on a humminbird for a few seasons to see the "field reviews" it gets from real anglers, not pro-staff

marcum vs vex...

even though only the lx5 comes with a dual cone, it's still an option for a vex....

**** vex is like a car, buy it, then start adding options...

s-cable, charging system, case etc...

Marcum comes good to go out of the box...

only place where vex beats marcum is depth... max depth on marcum is 160ft, 200 on a vex...

vex is living off it's name... the fl20 was a dissappointment to many vex fans... the differences between the fl18 vs the fl20 weren't worth the wait...

i did research before buying the marcum, and hands down marcum was the way to go... i believe that they are both around the same price, but then start adding options then the vex becomes more expensive...

Marcum has as a standard unit:

more wattage 2000 vs Vex's 400 ( vex guys say to much wattage isn't good, look at regular fishfinders, the more expensive, the more wattage... it also helps with interference rejection...)

soft cover case ( optional on a vex)

digital charging system with lcd display (not 4 leds like a vex)

dual cone transducer ( no optional s-cable required)

dual cone changes at the press of a button, no need to change transducers

finer resolution (up to 3/4"... not that it makes a difference too much...)

adjustable zoom throughout the entire water column ( vex only has bottom lock)

12 level interference rejection (10 levels on a vex...)

granted they both help catch fish, but dollar for dollar, a marcum gives you a lot more

difference between an lx3 and lx5 is wattage (1200 vs 2000)and dual cone transducer on the lx5...

the flasher will last you a long time, my opinion is spend the $$ now and you don't need to upgrade in the future...

when i was lookin, i researched long and hard, and i wasn't biased to vex or marcum... the facts say it all the... marcum lx5 gives you best bang for your buck...

I have a Marcum LX-5 as well. Only managed to use it 2 times I think last season. Worked really great. One thing to note, though, is that it knocks out almost any other flashers close by. My friend was trying to use his Eagle Cuda as a flasher and just gave up because the Marcum totally interfered with it. I believe it knocks out Vex's as well. Better to take out others than be taken out! Very good unit.

Buster I have been looking at the same things and am thinking of the Showdown they have them at BPS and are alot cheaper then both above but I dont know what I would go with yet.

UB you should not have posted so much info now you got me thinking thanks alot :wallbash: I will just blame you if I buy a vex or Mar :thumbsup_anim: then you can answer to my wife or atleast take it on the chin from the distance LOL.

It sure is a big choice as you dont want to get the wrong thing for where you fish as for me I dont need anything more then 50' so that does help out some. heck I dont even know if we will get ice here this year.

Well it's like having a Cadillac or a Honda, both get you to the same place, one costs a whole lot more, and unless Uncle Buck is sitting in your hut with his Marcum stuck down your hole, I don't think it's much of an issue. I've fished close enough to others (about 50-60 feet away) in 40 feet deep with no interference on my Aqua-Vu(Showdown). I only paid $199 for mine and the bigger feature I like is that it reads like a regular graph, much easier to see where the bottom, bait, and fish are. And don't let anyone crap you that it's not fast.

Just a note about Marcums. I brought out my LX-5 today after not touching it since last season. Bought it last winter and only managed to use it once or twice. The unit was put away with 60% battery life still. There is a little screen attached to the battery that tells you how much battery life there is left. Plugged it in to charge and started saying charging 30%. This confused me since it had said it still had 60% life. Shot an email off to Marcum customer service and had a detailed reply specifically answering my questions in less than 10 minutes. Got it all figured out and the unit is working as it should. Great customer service, IMO.

Edited by Beats

Just a note about Marcums. I brought out my LX-5 today after not touching it since last season. Bought it last winter and only managed to use it once or twice. The unit was put away with 60% battery life still. There is a little screen attached to the battery that tells you how much battery life there is left. Plugged it in to charge and started saying charging 30%. This confused me since it had said it still had 60% life. Shot an email off to Marcum customer service and had a detailed reply specifically answering my questions in less than 10 minutes. Got it all figured out and the unit is working as it should. Great customer service, IMO.

You should never leave the digital battery charge system plugged in during storage. That little screen can/will drain the battery. Lead acid batteries should always be stored fully charged. All wires connected to the battery should be disconnected for storage. I've heard one to many stories of guys killing batteries that way.

I own an LX5 as well and its definatly the way to go. My buddy bought an FL-20 around the same time and we got to fish side by side most of the season, both great units but I love my marcum! This years LX5 are pumping out 2500watts (500 more watts than previous years) Love the adjustable zoom and the crisp clear display. Can't imagine fishing without it!

I stored mine completely disconnected as instructed. THe battery life after 9 months or so was exactly as I had left it. I was just confused by how it was reportedly charging. THe numbers didn't make sense to me, but it was explained and all sorted out. When I emailed Marcum I was told that even when the unit isn't being used I should plug the charger into the unit once a month (every month) to get the longest life out of the battery. All batteries shorten their life span by sitting unused. That's what the Marcum rep told me anyways.

You should never leave the digital battery charge system plugged in during storage. That little screen can/will drain the battery. Lead acid batteries should always be stored fully charged. All wires connected to the battery should be disconnected for storage. I've heard one to many stories of guys killing batteries that way.

I own an LX5 as well and its definatly the way to go. My buddy bought an FL-20 around the same time and we got to fish side by side most of the season, both great units but I love my marcum! This years LX5 are pumping out 2500watts (500 more watts than previous years) Love the adjustable zoom and the crisp clear display. Can't imagine fishing without it!

Waoo I am suprised of the great number of people owning MarCum unit and an happy to see all of them like their machines.

I am one of the first (if not the first) MarCum LX-5 owner in Canada and cannot say anything bad about it.

Not only it does great job, not only it drives creasy all the Vex owners near me on the ice but it is so practical and user friendly it is pleasure to work with it.

And it also LOOKS GREAT with it's red case (included in the price by the way) not to have to buy it afterwords.

Not to repeat Goran's facts....my advice...go for LX-5 and you'll LOVE IT!!!

And few pictures will tell/show you better than any words:

fishing_Mar0108_014.jpg

IM003854.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I've got a Marcum LX5...

I'd hold off on a humminbird for a few seasons to see the "field reviews" it gets from real anglers, not pro-staff

marcum vs vex...

even though only the lx5 comes with a dual cone, it's still an option for a vex....

**** vex is like a car, buy it, then start adding options...

s-cable, charging system, case etc...

Marcum comes good to go out of the box...

only place where vex beats marcum is depth... max depth on marcum is 160ft, 200 on a vex...

vex is living off it's name... the fl20 was a dissappointment to many vex fans... the differences between the fl18 vs the fl20 weren't worth the wait...

i did research before buying the marcum, and hands down marcum was the way to go... i believe that they are both around the same price, but then start adding options then the vex becomes more expensive...

Marcum has as a standard unit:

more wattage 2000 vs Vex's 400 ( vex guys say to much wattage isn't good, look at regular fishfinders, the more expensive, the more wattage... it also helps with interference rejection...)

soft cover case ( optional on a vex)

digital charging system with lcd display (not 4 leds like a vex)

dual cone transducer ( no optional s-cable required)

dual cone changes at the press of a button, no need to change transducers

finer resolution (up to 3/4"... not that it makes a difference too much...)

adjustable zoom throughout the entire water column ( vex only has bottom lock)

12 level interference rejection (10 levels on a vex...)

granted they both help catch fish, but dollar for dollar, a marcum gives you a lot more

difference between an lx3 and lx5 is wattage (1200 vs 2000)and dual cone transducer on the lx5...

the flasher will last you a long time, my opinion is spend the $$ now and you don't need to upgrade in the future...

when i was lookin, i researched long and hard, and i wasn't biased to vex or marcum... the facts say it all the... marcum lx5 gives you best bang for your buck...

thanks very good info

For me it was the adjustable zoom function of the Marcum LX5. I used to own a Vex, but gave it away when Marcum came along. IceFisherman and I purchased the first available units together a few years back.

I found rainbows suspended and was able to zoom right in with the LX5.

scurve12.jpg

scurve11.jpg

scurve7.jpg

Buster I have been looking at the same things and am thinking of the Showdown they have them at BPS and are alot cheaper then both above but I dont know what I would go with yet.

UB you should not have posted so much info now you got me thinking thanks alot :wallbash: I will just blame you if I buy a vex or Mar :thumbsup_anim: then you can answer to my wife or atleast take it on the chin from the distance LOL.

It sure is a big choice as you dont want to get the wrong thing for where you fish as for me I dont need anything more then 50' so that does help out some. heck I dont even know if we will get ice here this year.

Mike your always welcome to come back homeward to our cottage for some hardwater, speaking of that if your going to sudzbury at xmas time give me a ring we can drop a line in the water over some egg-nog....spiked.....also turk should be down...cheers