Selective Harvest

Reelpro

I was doing a search the other day (yahoo canada) and up popped an "anti-angling" site.

They are well funded and out to put a stop to sportfishing if they can.

One of their big targets is the concept of "catch and release" fishing. In-Fisherman show and mag in the US has been harping on this for years and I think they're right.

Anglers as a group need to get away from the "catch and release" lingo and talk up "selective harvest".

I know there are probably anglers out there who never eat fish - I can't understand that but whatever - but if you catch a fish and determine that it is definately going to die, then it is your DUTY as an angler to keep and clean and prepare that fish for food. If you don't want to eat it give it to someone else perhaps.

Fish in our lakes and rivers are a precious resource, and not something to be wasted.

I operate a charter business, and I eat a lot of fish, as do a lot of my friends. Many of my customers do not want, or are unable to keep fish - tourists - and if the fish will not survive I keep and prepare those for the table.

Here's a recipe for your next "Selective Harvest"

Any fish filet.

Lay filet out and place a 1/2" strip of cold smoked salmon down the length, place a 1/2 stip of your favorite cheese on top of that - herbed havarti, halapeno jack, etc - place 2 aspargus sprigs crosswise on top, get a big box of toothpicks and roll the filet up. Seal it up as good as posiible in a roll - 4 or 5 toothpicks.

Brush lightly with olive oil, barbque over indirect heat until rolls start to flake apart. YUMMY

Works great with pike, walleye,

I wonder how that would fall into to play for tournament angling?

Selective harvest does sound better than culling fish from the livewell...even as of the 2008 regs now makes it if you have an adequet/appropriate livewell,so that not only bass can be culled,but walleye and pike as well. Culling torut or something who knows..generally speaking if I am going to brign a trout home it's going to be a small one not a big one, so selective harvest for sure comes into play..but, if a fish I catch happens to look like it's not going to make it, I will of course bring that fish home, and it WILL be eaten..not by me though, I will cook it no probs, just don't like trout but i know plenty of people who would eat it :Gonefishing: