Dinner Time

bigugli

:D Seeing as I'm confined to the house, again, figured it was time to start on the Christmas cooking list. Our celebration runs the whole month of December, and food, in a Finnish home, is central to the festivities.

DSCN2260.jpg

Today, I spent 5 hours cranking out Swedish meatballs. They'll be heavenly once they've soaked in Lingonberries and wine. Next will be Pulla, ginger snaps, cardamom cookies, etc.. We don't do Lutefisk (blechhh!).

Don't have too much time to get ready for an open house and fish fry. Not quite the same as my Gram's traditional Finnish open house, but good enough.

Edited by bigugli

Our celebration runs the whole month of December, and food, in a Finnish home, is central to the festivities.

One month to be festive????????????????????

Hell we do it 12 months of the year ,365 days of the year.man you guys are deprived.L M A O :lol::lol:

I love meaballs,hot hamburger plates,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with gravy and mashed taters,but , if I did go back to that,I would be a FF again. Oh I miss it so much,but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :wallbash::wallbash:

I,ll go and eat my feta spinach anchiove pepper pizza now..................... Can you spare a meat ball?????????? :thumbsup_anim:

oh man.... i can remember the pulla and the ginger cookies my grandmother used to make. i havent had that stuff in years.

do you happen to have recipes for those? it'd be killer to try and make some and suprise my mother when we go over there during the holidays.

ryan

Easiest way too this. I'm still using my Gram's old Five Roses Cookbook with her notes.

Get a 5 Roses book. Use the basic sweet dough recipe. Replace the lemon rind with 3tsp ground cardamom.

Best I can say is that the reipe is only a guide. There is a texture and feel to the dough when kneading that tells you its right. Dough needs to feel smooth and has a light satinny texture and no longer stick to your fingers as you work it.

You will also find the basic rolled cookie recipes there. Make cardamom cookies by using cardamom, not ginger. Can't help you with the cookie designs. I still use Grams cutters.

My days of hunting are long time done. Sold the Enfield and bird gun years ago.

Bruce, too bad for selling the rifle and shotgun..... I own a Lee Enfield modified stock and a Baikail one shot 12 gage for birds.... Love those two..... it's my pride and joy

I've sold all my guns before because of a bad experience and regret it but now will keep them for as long as I live

but to get back on topic.... think pink, just before hitting the pan with ash browns..... here it is

DSC01182.jpg

I know.... me bad :blush:

Bruce, too bad for selling the rifle and shotgun..... I own a Lee Enfield modified stock and a Baikail one shot 12 gage for birds.... Love those two..... it's my pride and joy

I've sold all my guns before because of a bad experience and regret it but now will keep them for as long as I live

but to get back on topic.... think pink, just before hitting the pan with ash browns..... here it is

DSC01182.jpg

I know.... me bad :blush:

Gotta enjoy the fruits of your labours (and boast) a little. I'm sure that was absolutely heavenly.