Scugog on Sunday report...

urbanangler1990

hey guys my dad and i made it out on the bog this past sunday. We got there around 10 am. We gave one of our favourite spots a try with absouletly no luck <_< Funny thing was we didnt see a single soul ice fishing :blink::dunno: . Ice conditions are just perfect, only to walk on for now though, no cracks, nothing, about an inch of snow with maybe 3 of ice. Were looking to get out to a small lake next sunday... anyways here are some pics.

me drilling the first hole of the ice season

IMG_1033.jpg

my dad

IMG_1037.jpg

a cool hole shot

IMG_1045.jpg

traditional tipup

IMG_1040.jpg

we had a hard time finding deeper water, about 1.5 km out and still 2,3,4 feet :blink: we couldnt find any fish.

after walking quite a bit we found 10-14 feet of water, and the fishfinder kept marking fish at 4, 7, 9 feet. Here is a shot of what it looked like, this is the first time ive used a fishfinder, and im not quite sure how to read it, i mean is this even accurate? and does it mean there are fish right around the hole or much further way?

IMG_1055.jpg

thnx for any help, and for reading...

First thing is to turn off the Fish ID. It turns things that are not fish, into fish. Once you do that, you will see th actual readings and it is much easier to tell fish from a thermocline or plankton mess. At night on Lake Nosbonsing the plankton comes up from the bottom and with fish ID on, it looks like a three mile long school of fish. But under raw sonar mode, you can tell it is not fish.

Yeah the fish ID thingy is not good. Use the sonar feature (flasher) if your fish finder has one. Its alot better.

3 feet of ice becareful 4 is the minium for safety.

dsn

Edited by dsn

well at least you got to go out this weekend,great report and thanks for giving us an ice update...next time try going just before dark,going out at 10am is not the best walleye time....you gotta go early and late in the afternoon especially on scugog...well better luck next time cheers

well at least you got to go out this weekend,great report and thanks for giving us an ice update...next time try going just before dark,going out at 10am is not the best walleye time....you gotta go early and late in the afternoon especially on scugog...well better luck next time cheers

yup, we couldnt get out at dawn nor dusk, we dropped my mom at work for 9 in scarb and continued to the bog, she finished at 5 lol, soo we missed both times :glare: great to get out tho...

show off!! :D

Not really I only had mine for about a year still figuring it out. :P Almost got it down pac :thumbsup_anim:

I had my old eagle ultra II before and I had it on FishID most of the time...but sometimes the screen gets all messed up and I would have to shut the thing down and restart it. Thats why I got rid of it. Other than that it was great unit.

Least you were out there I'm still waiting.

:(

Its yours brand new?

Edited by dsn

Are you familar with the features on it?

I know it was hard for me to learn all the features on my finder when I bought it in the middle of the hardwater season. I had to go through a flash course to learn the basics.I even had to read the maunal in the hut while fishing. :w00t:

dsn

hey guys i still dont understand these settings, i dont have fish id on my unit, heres what i have, gain, SCC, ice mode, range, fish alarm, and depth alarm. that shot i show how far away could those fish be? the horizontal line just keep moving toward the left, and showing the same line of fish

its a tournament 2100 by bottom line

Edited by urbanangler1990

Dont think I ever have seen a unit that you couldn't turn off fish ID. If you cant, try turning down the gain(power). Its possible you are getting signal reverb off the bottom of the ice(signal bounce).

What you are seeing on your screen as it goes to the left is history. One fish sitting still will cause you to see it all across the screen.

Also what you see depends on the type of transducer you have. Some are very directional with a very narrow beam which is good for faster travel and for steep reefs. Some have a wide beam which covers a larger area. Yours is likely a compromise of both and should suit you well. Think of it like a beam from a flashlight. The deeper the water the more the beam has a chance to spread. Maybe it's confusing at first but you will get the hang of it. :D

Edited by Nipissing

They would have to be within the radius of the beam. Lets see.....ok , you were in 10 ft of water, if what you were reading were actually fish I would GUESS they would be within 3-5 ft of the beam. I dont know just where you were fishing or what conditions were but if I was on Nipissing that screen would most likely be ignored until some fine tuning or observation. My best catches of pickerel dont even show on my screen on rocky shoals. And I have used several different types of sounders. Occasionally they will pop up off the bottom enough to see them but I use mine to find structure where I think they should be. Rarely ever have fish ID on. On flat bottom areas, mud or sand bars the feature I find is sometimes handy. :)

Nice picks ...........but!!!!! that don't look like a good three inches, and if your gonna venture out on that ice Please learn one thing If you don't see anybody else around you must be doing something out of the ordinary, think safety first invest in floater suits, rope, ice picks, etc. As a seasoned angler I dont venture out until theres a good 5 inches of black ice.

Play safe.

Nice picks ...........but!!!!! that don't look like a good three inches, and if your gonna venture out on that ice Please learn one thing If you don't see anybody else around you must be doing something out of the ordinary, think safety first invest in floater suits, rope, ice picks, etc. As a seasoned angler I dont venture out until theres a good 5 inches of black ice.

Play safe.

we travelled out 2 km almost and ice is same all over, no cracking nothing, 3 - 4 inches is perfect for walkers, i dont have money for a floater suit at this time, i go when its safe enough out there, guy at local shop said its absouletly safe enough to walk on, now y there werent any people on the ice i dont think it was because of ice not being safe enough, maybe too cold, too windy, other factors possibly... there were a lot of people at another point down the road soo....