todays report

dheitzner

i headed out to gilford today at around noon to check the ice and to possibly wet a line (if safe).

when i arrived there were about 15 cars parked on the road and as many guys out on the ice from the shallows to almost halfway across the bay. most were either straight out or a bit to the south.

after grabbing a scoop of minnows from Terry Goy i walked along with the spud bar to test the ice thickness - between 3 and 4" of ice (3 of blue and 1 of white). the ice was rough in a lot of spots and i didn't feel all that comfortable out there. a few more days will mean another inch or two of ice. punched 4 or 5 holes on the way out to 12' of water and marked some weeds and at one spot some fish for a minute but couldn't coax a hit. at 12' i said "no further" and after a bit i headed in.

the east wind definately didn't help the cause and i didn't want to tempt fate too much even with a float suit and spikes. :blush:

so no fish, but two good things on the day were:

1 - tried out the new lowrance x-67c ice machine and really liked it - great unit so far.

2 - it was as cold as a witches teet out there and at any pressure crack that i saw, new ice was being made.

probably going to try to head out on wednesday and fish hard - really only tried one presentation today

darcy

ps - exercise extreme caution if going out on the lake - take a bar and check the ice often

Edited by darcy

thanks darcy and very good advice i dont want to read about anyone from here or anywhere drowning...well soon there will be huts and snow machines out and everything will be ok well to bad you didnt catch anything better luck next time bud....thanks for the report cheers

Edited by fishindevil