planer boards

forrest

Time was tight when I shopped for a planer board and all I could get was an "off Shore" OR-12 board (someone here recommended the "walleye board". There were no accessories available for it so I went stock.

As I read in other posts, those stock release clips just don't cut it with braided line. I tried the double loop thing and am certain that trick results in the release not releasing at all sometimes.

I was looking to upgrade the release and came across this:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...;cmCat=WISHLIST

Anyone have experience on the release/braid problem?

forrest

<_< A bit of a scam if you ask me....why not state flat out that braid does not work well with the boards.....$20 upgrade for a $30 board to make it work like I thought it would in the first place.

Thanks UB....I think the clip in the link is the one you mentioned OR-18.

I should add that I did not catch anything with the board yet and figured the best way to rig it was to have the board release the line and slide down to a stopper just above the leader.

I know "pros" clip the line on the board and when they catch a fish they reel in far enough to release the board and then fight the fish. I did not catch anything so I don't know what the most enjoyable thing is.

I wish I could work in BOQ this weekend, meet a few OFNers and pick up some planer experience...but.....

Should I just get the OR-18 and figure it out later?

forrest

You know for the price of clips Forest just go buy the Walleye boards from church tackle and then you will have 4 planer boards your going to need them anyway.

Once you hook into your first big wet sock it will be a yearly thing for ya.Extra clips no no no.

I have 2 offshores which I use with mono .I use the church boards with braid and soon I will try the lead core until I get my riggers that is :whistling:

Hope to see ya out there this weekend Forrest. :canadian:

Edited by Mike the Pike

Thanks guys. Wish I could get out to Quinte this weekend. Being the cautious fella I am I only bought one board, My other board was a $15 sidewinder job that worked well (from what I know and with no fish caught).

If it is $20 out of my pocket, as suggested, I am buying something else and use this Offshore planer for a.....door wedge.

thanks guys!

forrest

Ok, a couple of points...

1. you do not want the board to release at all! You want to reel it up with the fish and have your partner release the board as you back up toward the front of the boat, keeping tension on the line at all times. Do NOT allow the person releasing the board to put any slack or bounce in the line, releasing the board.

2. OR-18's don't go bad! I've had mine for many years and yes, it's $20.00, but amortized over many years, I don't get the problem.

3. Those releases work on braid and Lead Core and obviously with mono... so again, what's the problem.

$. Many here prefer the Walleye boards, they work fine... personally, I find the Offshore boards perform better in the cold (below -5), they just seem to track better with ice on them.

4. LEAVE YOUR RIGGERS AT HOME!!!! And if you don't, please keep your boat and your noisy riggers away from my trolling run.

5. Drink Heavily! It's won't help yah catch fish, but it will sure help you get over the disappointment of gettin skunked! LMAO

HH

I've replaced the stock releases at the front of the planer board with the release shown in the first post, an over-center draw type of clip. They work very well, even with large lures and small braid. I use the stock clips at the rear of the boards.