BoQ - Water temp or date?

Headhunter

Hey folks, just a thought and lookin for your thoughts or experience.

Many folks believe that the Pickereye run of Lake O fish, is driven by water temps. Others would suggest it has to do with the angle of the sun, specifically low in the sky in October/November.

There may be other factors at work here as well...

What do you think is the driving factor as to when these big momma's come in. Yes, I know that they follow the shad, but in the last few years, it appears as though the shad have come in and the Pickereyes weren't there!

So what are your thoughts!?

HH

I would think temps drive the baitfish movements and the Pickereys follow closely behind...

Now...it is entirely possible that the fish are being affected by all the angling pressure and may be seeking other areas with similar characteristics as the Bay without all the angling pressure ;)

Always been my experience on Nipissing to try to fish where the fish are biting :whistling: . And most of the time that is where they are feeding. The baitfish spawning, the shadfly hatch, water current around rocky shoals and windblown shoreline is the most common to look for here.

PS. It doesn't always work out that way though does it Joe? :D

I read an article on this and it suggested that walleyes move into the bay of quinte in the fall for 2 reasons, to feed on the baitfish that move in, and to stage for the spawn so they dont have to move as far in march when they are bloated with eggs and the water is colder. Both thing have to do with both water temp and date(shortening daylight).