Anyone hit the Notty this weekend?

BillM

I tried a few places without much luck. Started at Ivy and fished north a few km's Sat morning. I was the second guy in the parking lot and when I left there were atleast 7-8 cars. Saw a lot of guys fishing, but didn't see anyone doing any catching (ok, perhaps it's not just me :) ) Went home had a nap and hit it again off of 21 Hwy. Fished north 1-2kms and missed a shaker in some shallow water after I bunked a cast and was bringing it back in. Only maybe 2lbs, but it would have been nice! At about 5:00 the skies opened up with rain, then sleet so I decided to call it a day..

My setup consisted of a 4gram Raven float, 10-12lb Siglon FF main line, 6lb Maxima ultragreen for my shot line then 5lb flouro for my leader. Shot line is about 24-30 inches, leader was about 16.. #14 hooks and bags with 5-6 eggs in them. Also tried some Berkeley Gulp worms in hot pink. Water vis was good, atleast 2ft with a green tinge. I also tried fishing wood and debris, worked out ok, didn't lose any hardware and got the float a few inches from some bigass fallen trees on more then one occasion..

Can anyone see some massive holes in my setup, or am I just being extremely unlucky?

Edited by BillM

I have found the notty to be really tough on high water falls, like this one. There is just nothing to hold the fish back so they blow through so fast its hard to intercept them. I would try something that will really get there attention like huge bright roe bags or big obnoxious lures.

Bill,

Your set up looks good. One thing I would key on would be your depth from float to hook. I like to snag occassionally so I know I'm down in the strike zone 3-12" from bottom. I keep adjusting my depth, using my rod as a measuring stick so once I hook up I know how deep I was if my rig gets messed up. Sounds like a tough day on the water. You may want to try smaller bags in soft yellows and whites for clearing water plus stretch out your leader to at least 2feet.

Persistance is key!!!

Paul

I wouldn't say it as much as your set up as it is the location you fished. I fish the Notty at least couple days a week and Ivy is always a heavily pressured (which is why I don't fish there anymore) so there wont be as many fish holding there and the ones that are there have probably been caught recently so they would be a bit tight lipped and not wanting to hit.

I fished the upper Notty today and did well, lots of fish around. Vis around 2ft with a nice green tinge to it. White, peach and red bags were the on colors today.

Ya just gotta find the less pressured spots where the fish have not been touched recently (which usually requires a bit of footwork) and you should get into some. As long as ya learn something new that you didn't know last time you hit the river, you'll be better off next time. :thumbsup_anim:

Paul, if I do increase my leader how much of that 2ft is actually going to affect the depth of my drift? What I mean is, if the rig is setup properly the bait is flowing downstream ahead of the float, does that 2ft really get the bait down lower or just push it out front of the float more? I went lighter on the shot also for some reason I like stacking on the .80gram shots, lol. I started out with a .80gram on the shot line then put 4-5 shot smaller in size until I got to my second swivel.

Mark, I really didn't think about these fish being pressured so much, I dunno why but I really should have taken that into consideration. I do a lot of hiking for brookies in the summer/early fall, I guess I should put in the time and find some unmolested pools/runs as well. I did hike some a few months ago while fishing with hardware and I found some really nice water. (And actually fish!) The next time I'm out I'll do the 3-4km jaunt and put myself into less pressured water.

I appreciate the advice, I think I need to write this all down so I don't forget again. :)

What brand hook are you using in size 14?

I never go smaller than a 12...EVER.

The smaller you get the lower your chances are of hooking up, and if you jam the hook into the bag well enough you can get away with 10s sometimes. My weapon of choice seems to be the 12.

Also, its a game of timing, sometimes you hit it and other times you dont. Some days you know will be unreal you have to drop everything and go or miss the run

I guess I should have been more clear about the size 10, I only use 10s when the water is murky enough to get away with it.

At all other times 12 is as small as I go, also depends on the hook brand as it seems like a 12 in the kind i use is a little smaller than other 12s