Nov 6 on the Niagara

jwl

Had the chance today to head out for an afternoon fish on the mighty Niagara in my boat with Niagara and Suick to try and see if we could rustle up any steelie action. We knew it was going to be a bit of a tough day after all with this weather it was just too darn nice out for steelie fishin, and the water was pretty much crystal clear to boot. This means some experimenting with spots and also trying out a few different baits..some different sized baits, and different length leaders on the 3 way rigs.

We also knew that this is also the time of year where you just have to actually start egtting out there,try a few spots and try and find some fish..it's just a start, water is still a bit warm, but you just never know unless you get out there and try. Today we could only get out for the afternoon as the other 2 guys had to workthis morning, but it was also a chance to try a hand at the afternoon bite, tommorrow is a shot at the morning bite, but you have to experiment a bit if you want to stay on the fish all winter.

I was happy to say that on my first mission for steelies out in the boat since the spring time that I infact did mange some fresh chrome in the boat.

Spunky little girl she was,she gave me a couple good high flying leaps on the way in just to add to the fun.

342027854.jpg.

All in all it was a lovely day to be on the river, after-all it's not often we get spring in the first week of November. Suick also managed to put one in the boat,Niagara lost a couple and I had one other fish on just long enough to peel some line, shake it's head and be gone. The boat saw 2 for 5 today. It was a slow day all around and we didn't see any other boats we where by catch anything,but for a search mission, I am happy all around that the first steelie mission on the river since like April/May still saw us put a couple in the boat. Great way to start the next 5 months of trout fishin'

PS, if any of you guys where the ones in the redish boat in the background of my pic...after you watched me land my fish and then you started to head back up river when I did.....here is a little Niagara River secret that might help you catch a couple fish...........DO NOT, run your boat all the way through the whole drift on your way back up stream to start another drift......go..arrrrrrrrrounnnnnnddddddd the drift...way around it, it just might help the fishin :huh:;)

Edited by jwl

Real nice lookin' Bow Jack!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

thanks..but too bad I didn't have my freekin team sign with me :wallbash: ..we need a GL trout :rolleyes: , good thing I am going out again in the morning :dunno::Gonefishing: ..oh well that's just a small one anyways..and it's not even the "good fishin" yet...yaaa.yaaa..that's it, that's my story :lol:

A great day to be out there jwl and I'm glad you could take advantage of it, land some fish, and post a report and pics for us. The gorge is gorgeous isn't she?

Cheers!

that's for sure, I love it..been fishing down there since I was like 12 pretty much,and still ove it every single trip, have fished the banks and in a boat over the years pretty much from right near the falls to the bar, was a nice day to be out in the boat today for sure :Gonefishing:

Edited by jwl

Well done Jack!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Was talking to a few divers the other day down there and they said they didn't see too many steelies around but did mention that there was way more muskie then they have ever been this time of year !!!

They said that the muskies had no fear of them,one diver said he turned his head and had one 2 ft away just staring at him,freaky!!

Maybe that's why it's a little slow atm :dunno: ,but like you said you have to do your homework and you can't do that from the couch!!

See ya soon out there, :Gonefishing:

Streamerguy