What type of hatches are on now?

BillM

Spent 2 hrs on the Notty yesterday hoping that the little rain we got might entice some fish to move up. To my dismay nothing wanted a roebag or pink power worm. However, I saw atleast 3-4 fish surfacing feeding last night. These weren't shakers, I saw one in the 10lb range, it was huge. I couldn't tell what they were swiping at but I cursed myself for not bringing my flyrod down with me.

What could they have been going after? Isn't it a bit late for any type of hatch to be happening?

Could be a late fall hatch of caddis (or great autumn sedge).

Did you see anything on the surface? How were the fish breaching? straight up and out or just breaking it slightly.. Maybe the old boots were stiring in the lower light conditions..

Emergers and large cadis patters might do the trick.

cheers

HD

They were coming straight up and out, big 180 degree turns and lots of wake left behind. They weren't being hesitant at all.. No slurping going on for sure :)

I read up about it might being a blue winged olive perhaps, and also about the sedge.. They could have been emergers for sure, because I couldn't see any distinct bugs on the surface.

Maybe Chronimids? (Midge Fly)

We have a huge hatch down here all winter, it amazes me that they hatch out in 45*F water and even lesser ambient temps! They're the main forage for most species in winter here. The Crappie will absolutely stuff themselves with them, making them even more size sensitive to my bait presentations... wanting only the smallest Fathead minnows I can find. They'd rather eat 100 Chronimids than one big fat minnow!

Probably not salmon, unless fishing the C&R area then the odd one might still be rotting away

I was fishing the inbetween the Boyne and the Pine, but this was no salmon. Had a great view of the fish, silver as anything :)

Sucks that the clock rolled back, by the time I get home I only have about 30 mins to pack up, get to the river and make a few casts before it gets dark.

I'd be inclined to think midges or BWO's as well. Its amazing what can happen when the mercury climbs a few degrees higher than normal for a day or two. Were the rising fish concentrated to a short section of river? Could just be that they were battling out some territorial issues as well. If it was happening on a large portion of the river, I'd definitely be think they were rising to flies!

I'd be inclined to think midges or BWO's as well. Its amazing what can happen when the mercury climbs a few degrees higher than normal for a day or two. Were the rising fish concentrated to a short section of river? Could just be that they were battling out some territorial issues as well. If it was happening on a large portion of the river, I'd definitely be think they were rising to flies!

I saw the same fish(I am guessing here, it could have been 2 seperate fish) rise twice infront of me in a span of say 10 mins. Very violent, like he was going after something, got it and 180'd back to where he was. Where he was rising was a good 15ft across and about 7ft deep with steep banks) The other rise was at the tail end of a big wide pool (Big pool a good 100ft, by 75ft, very slow also)

I guess I'll have to bring the flyrod down and test this theory out for myself :)