Grand river in KW

jediangler

Had a meeting with our CAW local union boys this morning at 9:30am. Took the poles along since there was a stretch of the river that the Shipper had never fished. After hearing the bad news, more layoffs and no optimism for the future, we decided to cast away our worries and let them flow downstream. The target was smallmouth bass and I had come prepared with a 1/8oz pumpkinseed tubejig. The Shipper was using a 1/8oz white jig & grub combo. We had the river all to ourselves, as far as we could see in either direction. We saw geese, heron, kingfisher, mallards and an osprey all singing along with the sounds of titanium drivers off the tee at the private course across the river.

sm14.jpg

This was our only bass, a 14incher that couldn't resist the tubey.

shipsuk.jpg

carpy.jpg

Both of these rubber lippers were hooked inside the mouth, proving that powerbait does work like live bait sometimes. The hike back to the car was such a workout, uphill all the way, that I think the Shipper will need a nap to recover from it. One hour on the river and all the stress of a tense meeting was gone. What comes, comes, and we'll deal with that at the time.

We were fishing there last week and the locals told us that fish have gone back to the lake after the city release the dam water.

There were still bass under a lb that we caught, but no more bigger fish. No one was fishing there as well, a good and bad sign. The water gotten shallower than normal as what we were told.

Looks like bad news on the horizon for you guys but those rubber lips look awesome, never caught one that big. The river looks calm and inviting too. Might have to get out there next week. Prolly put the boat in in the lower for one last stab at some eyes and then be on foot til freeze up. Yas sure picked a beauty day to go, not many of those days left eh! :thumbsup_anim:

This isn't my first time dealing with job loss, had a plant closure back in 1992, learned that worrying about things beyond my control was a waste of time and energy. Fishing does cure all, or if not, makes you at least forget your troubles while you are fishing. Joonmoon, I'm sure that was my PB sucker of all time. I thought I had a carp on until I got it close to shore. I'm hoping to get the yak out this coming week as it looks like the last of the beauty weather for this fall. Reports to follow , I hope.

Look on the bright side at least you didnt get shot at :whistling::P .

On the negative side, sorry to hear about the union issues, things look bleak all over in industry.

Beaty looking fish too those suckers can be like pests at times but they count.