STEELHEAD FISHING SUCKS

limeyangler

i'm getting a tad envious of all these fantastic steelhead posts...lol

Don't fret over it LA! Soft ray fish are nothing more than overgrown minnows (bait!) and noone is going to think you're any less of a fisherman it you don't catch one! ;)

... as a matter of fact, if I caught one down here... I'd bash it's nadz in and use it for Catfish bait!!!

... and noone had better say a croos word to me aboot it!!! :angry:

Don't give up...I started trying for these guys back in Jan 07....here's a link to how it started out..... I didn't catch my first one until Jan 28th...and was because CANADIANCOPPER took me out and he let me use his gear. He rigged everything up, told me where to float, and when to set the hook. LOL. I caught my first one solo on March 13th.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...ic=2106&hl=

Once you get that first one, your confidence will go up....I find confidence is very important when steelhead fishing!!

Solopaddler, your're a genius, i'm only 4 hrs from thunder bay......might have to get that organised for spring....lol.

Yeah, Dryden's not that close to T-Bay. Beautiful country you live in, though. I've seen pictures :rolleyes: I don't know the rivers at all up there, but some make quite the trip inland before an unpassable barrier presents itself. It may not be thaaat far....

Mind you, Mike is right. If you have a weekend in the spring, once the rivers have calmed a little after the thaw, it would be worth exploring. I think some of the fellows at www.thunderbayfishing.com could be of assistance in getting you started. Of all places, this is where I found guys who knew where to get my mainline of choice (Drennan Super Mono) since there is none left in my local fishing shops (Gagnon's, Tightlines, Hirks).

In mid September, many of those rivers also have healthy runs of pink salmon. They are small, strong and plentiful.

Lots of documentation available at the library or bookstore, too, on where to start.

Cheers!

p.-

p.s. and by the way, we often drive 4 hours when the conditions call for it... as kemper said, we are slightly insane :blink: :blink: :blink: